Guage or sending unit

My bet is it will work. Once you get it plug it in and see. I'll bet you it will work.
Well I'm gonna give it a go tonight and see. Really hoping that's the culprit and my new found petty funds account (jeep) will be gtg

Well the Mopar oil pressure sending ynit is installed and works like a charm! No more issues. Thank all of you for your advice! Hopefully someone else learns from this.

Reactions: Chris
Hmmm, mine is from 70 to 80 psi when I'm driving. Even after I replaced my OSU.
While on the high range, that pressure still within the acceptable range. Abnormally high oil pressure can also be caused by running too high of an oil viscosity, 5W-30 or 10W-30 are what should be run in our TJ engines. But so long as your oil pressure varies up & down with the engine RPMs and doesn't go low enough to illuminate the Check Gauges light, it is fine.

Also be aware that the actual oil pressure is only displayed on 2002 and older TJs. On 2003 and newer TJs, the factory changed the oil pressure gauge to always show fixed mid-scale indication so long as the real oil pressure is acceptable. The reason they did that was that so many people started buying TJs when they first came out, they started complaining about the oil pressure constantly going up & down. The dealers were having so much trouble convincing their new customers that it was normal that they pushed the factory to reprogram the gauge so it wouldn't show the normal and perfectly acceptable ups & downs of oil pressure. Pretty much no cars come with oil pressure gauges any more so few drivers know anything about what is an acceptable acceptable or not. The dumbing down of America.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forty and Chris
While on the high range, that pressure still within the acceptable range. Abnormally high oil pressure can also be caused by running too high of an oil viscosity, 5W-30 or 10W-30 are what should be run in our TJ engines. But so long as your oil pressure varies up & down with the engine RPMs and doesn't go low enough to illuminate the Check Gauges light, it is fine.

Also be aware that the actual oil pressure is only displayed on 2002 and older TJs. On 2003 and newer TJs, the factory changed the oil pressure gauge to always show fixed mid-scale indication so long as the real oil pressure is acceptable. The reason they did that was that so many people started buying TJs when they first came out, they started complaining about the oil pressure constantly going up & down. The dealers were having so much trouble convincing their new customers that it was normal that they pushed the factory to reprogram the gauge so it wouldn't show the normal and perfectly acceptable ups & downs of oil pressure. Pretty much no cars come with oil pressure gauges any more so few drivers know anything about what is an acceptable acceptable or not. The dumbing down of America.

Yes sir it's a 2002. A few months ago my PSI was at 40-50 almost constantly. Then it shot up to 80 one day. Then I looked up what the actual oil pressure should be in my service manual (72 psi @ 2000rpms, and 40 psi at idle), but it only seemed to stay at around 80 and never drop back down by much, so I changed out my OSU with an advance auto parts one, and the pressure didn't change at all. I guess I should just pay more attention to the pressures and see if it does ever drop to 40-ish psi?

But wow. That's a really, really dumb reason to change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 psi at idle would be unusually high. The rule-of-thumb for acceptable oil pressure is about 10 psi per thousand engine rpms.

Huh, well that's a good rule of thumb! I think I have my numbers mixed up. But the service manual doesn't state it being that low!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TJ Factory Service Manual say something like 13 psi at idle is normal. The Check Gauges light for the 2.5/4.0L engines stays off so long as the oil pressure is 6 psi or higher. 40 psi is not normal oil pressure at idle rpms.