Guess this Warn winch and value

OctaviousMonk

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am updating this to also included an estimated value. The bumper and winch are being sold for $300 asking price. Does this sound about right if it is an early m8000 as is being guessed?
My plan was to fix up, repaint the bumper and then sell it. thanks again for any input.

I am interested in buying this used warn winch and mopar rock crawler bumper for a pretty good price. The seller does not know the model number of the winch as it was painted over and it needs a new controller but says they can show it works. My question is, can anybody guess the model Warn it is from these mediocre pictures? Anything I should look out for when I check it out? Thanks

EF2E40E2-D74F-44BE-8680-B97EE9CBF1A8.jpeg

243778ED-D437-475D-818A-71658F6AA7B6.jpeg

452BD16F-42F0-4785-8FAC-DE631A12C982.jpeg

Last edited:
Any Warn winch that works is probably worth at least $100, but any more than that depends entirely upon which model and what condition.

What will it cost to rehab this winch, R&R the solenoid pack, and replace the winch line? Compare that to the price of a new one.

This looks like it is priced reasonably depending upon condition but I wouldn't characterize it as a good/great deal because you can buy a brand new Warn VR series winch for not too much more than you will have invested in this old winch before you are finished, and several serviceable off brand winches sell new for less than $300.

My inclination would be to say that I don't need or particularly want the bumper, offer $100 cash on the spot, and walk if the seller balks at anything less than $150.

There will be another used winch next week.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t bother with the bumper, if you touch it up and go to sell it everyone that knows about the famous “mopar rock crawler” bumper will be turned off since it was hacked up. Anyone who doesn’t probably won’t find it half as attractive is many think it was.

Last edited:
I'd walk or offer $50. The guy can't make it work? If it works sure $300 but there are so many scams. Is the guy curbing it or selling it in his driveway.... and is it his driveway?

it’s at his house, he can make it work. All it supposedly needs is the remote control. The bumper and winch are a package deal that he won’t separate.

Offer $100 for both winch and bumper. Top dollar. Not a nickel more. That is for the winch missing the controller. The bumper has been hacked and has scrap value only.

But $100 only if the seller demonstrates that the winch works in both directions and free spools without making grinding sounds, and only if you intend to use the winch after you restore it. Buying it to rehab and sell will be a losing proposition.

The seller will say 'no' to $100. He will actually be doing you a favor. Tell him that your offer remains open if he wants the $100 and move on. If you are unlucky he will call you next week and ask if you will pay $125. Or he won't, in which case you are lucky because you will be free to buy a better used winch.

That brings up a good point. I’ve been told the label was painted over. Is there any way for me to verify the model number once I see it in person?
thanks again for all the help everyone

Just pass on this one, there’s plenty others out there to move on when you’re ready, IMO.

That brings up a good point. I’ve been told the label was painted over. Is there any way for me to verify the model number once I see it in person?
thanks again for all the help everyone
You would have to see if you could clean off the decal. Warn only stamped the SN and Date code in the gear housing.

I got a VR 1000S (synthetic line) a couple years ago new for $499 at a 4WParts sale. It came with a wire remote and a wireless remote. $300 for an unknown winch is a bit much in my opinion. I am also suspicious as to why the serial numbers are painted over, stolen? I have since upgraded to a cti 9500, put the VR in a cradle the goes into my receiver hitch, now I have winching capability on both end of my Jeep.

Reactions: rasband