Tbird Clair

Li'l Wrascal
Supporting Member
So I finally sucked it up and got help to put the hard top back on the jeep... and all went well except that the latches at the front of the top won't lock... WTF?!? It looks like everything is fitting correctly otherwise, so I'm hoping that perhaps it will settle back into place and I'll be able to latch it down at some point. Not crazy about driving around with a partially secured top... anyone have any thoughts or experience with this issue? Maybe it got a little warped sitting off the jeep for the past couple months? Geez!

I don't get it... Why won't they latch? Are they too loose or too tight?

A photo doesn't help in this case... they are off, that's all I can say. They don't sit in the proper position to fit into the grooves on the frame. I have no clue. What I do know is that it's F'ing noisy on the highway so I took the back roads home [emoji53]

Are the rear bolts & nuts already installed? If so, remover or at least loosen them and shove the top forward on the rear tub rail and then close the latches. The latches need to be closed and latched before tightening the rear nuts & bolts.

Reactions: Stinger
Yeah, without the latches to button the front down, it's going to be loud as hell since it's not properly sealed.

I agree with what Jerry said though, that's sound advice.

Are the rear bolts & nuts already installed? If so, remover or at least loosen them and shove the top forward on the rear tub rail and then close the latches. The latches need to be closed and latched before tightening the rear nuts & bolts.

Ok. I'll try that again. We pushed it as far forward as it would go as far as we could tell. Could it have warped while being stored? It's also not the original top. It is from another year, not 2006 (it has vents) but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Just remember the saying KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid

Happens to me all the time. I'll overthink something that ends up being very, very easy.

When I bought my TJ the seller told me that its a little noisy inside like it may need a new header seal. As it turns out one of the latches just wasn't locked in...lol.

Anyhow just undo the latch, make sure the hook part goes into the windshield slot, you can hold it in place there too while clamping up the latch, it should absolutely work no problem. Just so long as your 6 rear bolts are very loose, or off prior.

I do think the correct way to seal it off it the front 2, then the 2 bolts closest to the front seats, and so on working your way straight back to the tailgate.

Reactions: brown_mule
Well, I tried again. Unbolted everything, pushed and shoved with all my might, lifted and shifted, got on the hood and sat on the hardtop, jiggled and jimmied, and the latches still won't latch.

Well, I tried again. Unbolted everything, pushed and shoved with all my might, lifted and shifted, got on the hood and sat on the hardtop, jiggled and jimmied, and the latches still won't latch.
Has this hardtop been on your TJ at all while you have owned it, or did you purchase this top after the fact? Just wondering, since you are having so much trouble with this...

Either this is not the correct top for your Jeep, or the latches have been replaced, but are not correct. You shouldn't be having issues like this if all is as it's supposed to be equipment-wise. This is one of those where I would love to be there to see what's going on.

Reactions: Tbird Clair
Can you maybe do a walk around vid, or take a bunch of internal/external pics so we can try and figure out what's up with it? Hardtops don't shrink or expand, so this doesn't make sense.

I know you already said pics won't do, but we just might spot something that's off.

Reactions: Tbird Clair
Can you maybe do a walk around vid, or take a bunch of internal/external pics so we can try and figure out what's up with it? Hardtops don't shrink or expand, so this doesn't make sense.

I know you already said pics won't do, but we just might spot something that's off.
That.

Could it have warped stored for the summer outside? I'll do my best to get detailed pics, but honestly it looks perfect.

Has this hardtop been on your TJ at all while you have owned it, or did you purchase this top after the fact? Just wondering, since you are having so much trouble with this...

Either this is not the correct top for your Jeep, or the latches have been replaced, but are not correct. You shouldn't be having issues like this if all is as it's supposed to be equipment-wise. This is one of those where I would love to be there to see what's going on.

Yes. It is what came on the jeep. I unlatched it and relatched it previous to storing it for the summer. I'm wondering if it got warped in the heat. It looks fine, just off by a few centimeters at the latches...