Hard Top vs Sailcloth Soft Top

Definitely sounds like the sailcloth is worth the extra $$$. Definitely going that route with the soft top

I'm sorry, this whole time I have been saying SAILCLOTH is the way to go, when I've meant to say TWILL.

My bad! Twill is far superior.

Reactions: Starrs
Just keep in mind the significantly more expensive twill fabric not the best choice for everyone or all needs and situations.
And you keep in mind that opinions are warranted here and I will give mine as you are giving yours. The twill doesn’t cost that much more anyway. Hate for somebody to buy something and regret not buying the other choice.

Reactions: Justin Homan
There is often times not a right or wrong answer. I have a Smittybilt top, and some had said it must be a POS even though mine has lasted 6 years, but I rarely drive with the top up, so it suits my needs perfectly, but it isn't for everybody. I personally have no need for sail cloth or twill, but many do.

Reactions: Starrs
I wish the unlimited had more options...

Same here. I wish they made a Khaki top. I emailed them recently asking if they ever planned to make one for the LJ's, and they said no. It was the answer I was expecting, though.

Reactions: rasband
Keep in mind everything you'll need to add a soft top if you've never had one. And how to fine tune it or get it put on correctly. It takes a bit of time to figure out how it all snaps into place. Read threads and watch YT vids. Your going to probably need the correct frame for the top your buying, roll bar brackets and door surrounds.

The first post in this thread is a good education on frames and tops and parts that might be missing if your Jeep originally came with just a hard top. I'd at least read it. The rest of the thread is just my own journey trying to get my soft top to fit in winter. And in general. There might be a few tips. But read the first post and you'll see what I mean about soft tops and frames and parts.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-any-other-brand-soft-top-installation.17352/
It may be in there. But don't try to put a soft top on in anything besides real warm weather or an extremely warm shop. Like 70-80F. Soft tops are made to fit extremely tight so they don't flap around at speed. Replacing them in winter is a mistake. You'll end up tearing something. Unless like I said you can get it into an extremely warm garage.

Keep in mind everything you'll need to add a soft top if you've never had one. And how to fine tune it or get it put on correctly. It takes a bit of time to figure out how it all snaps into place. Read threads and watch YT vids. Your going to probably need the correct frame for the top your buying, roll bar brackets and door surrounds.

The first post in this thread is a good education on frames and tops and parts that might be missing if your Jeep originally came with just a hard top. I'd at least read it. The rest of the thread is just my own journey trying to get my soft top to fit in winter. And in general. There might be a few tips. But read the first post and you'll see what I mean about soft tops and frames and parts.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-any-other-brand-soft-top-installation.17352/
It may be in there. But don't try to put a soft top on in anything besides real warm weather or an extremely warm shop. Like 70-80F. Soft tops are made to fit extremely tight so they don't flap around at speed. Replacing them in winter is a mistake. You'll end up tearing something. Unless like I said you can get it into an extremely warm garage.
Ive already got a soft top for my jeep but its a beat up used one i got for cheap. Its oem hardware so i just need the fresh fabric. Still a good to read tho!

Ive already got a soft top for my jeep but its a beat up used one i got for cheap. Its oem hardware so i just need the fresh fabric. Still a good to read tho!
If your Jeep goes offroad where anything could scratch/rub against the soft top, you'd be well to choose the Sailcloth Replace-A-Top from Bestop. Twill is nice looking, that's what my BMW convertible's top is made out of, but I'd never go with the more easily damaged twill fabric for my Jeep that sees offroad use.

IF you have the hardware already you def should get the twill replace a top fabric. It’s a grand for the top and all tinted windows.
If it was a matter of $100 between the two id do the twill but at almost half the price i think sailcloth is what im gonna do.

If your Jeep goes offroad where anything could scratch/rub against the soft top, you'd be well to choose the Sailcloth Replace-A-Top from Bestop. Twill is nice looking, that's what my BMW convertible's top is made out of, but I'd never go with the more easily damaged twill fabric for my Jeep that sees offroad use.
Durability offroad is a main point with me going with a soft top, id rather cut fabric then smash fiberglass and have to re-lay that. Much easier to call bestop and get a new side window

The Bestop Replace-A-Top in Spice runs $550
I kept finding $650 on Amazon for the sailcloth. $550 for fabric isn’t bad. I just loved the twill because it made my jeep a 1 top vehcile. I never wanted to even put a hardtop on it after I put that fabric on it. It’s not for everybody tho. Enjoy your top!

I kept finding $650 on Amazon for the sailcloth. $550 for fabric isn’t bad. I just loved the twill because it made my jeep a 1 top vehcile. I never wanted to even put a hardtop on it after I put that fabric on it. It’s not for everybody tho. Enjoy your top!
Thanks for your help bud, if they ever come out with a spice twill top itll be on my to get list but for now ill see what the sailcloth is all about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Alright so a little update, i got the soft top a little over a week ago and im loving it! No leaks and i haven't heard it flap once even in the severe winds we've had for the last few days. Ill be trying it out on a road trip in a few days as ill be doing the nor-cal christmas tree run!
231DDA34-D96C-4A0D-9E7D-1A658006BF5D.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I have TrekTop NX, and my only wish is a little bit more thickness above the seating area.
On the highway it is much better than other brands, but it still flops. And that flopping creates a muffling pressure waves that become very fatiguing on long drives.
I would compare it to a subwoofer. Just imagine sitting next to one, no sound but you can feel air waves blasting you.

Im going to experiment with a roll of packing foam. Will use a strong double sided tape to attach it from the inside.
Hopefully that gets rid of pressure waves, and does not add extra noise from foam.
If it works, it should help with heat on sunny days as well.