Hardtop Rear Window Leak Fix

q8ieng

TJ Enthusiast
Hello,

I did lots of search on how to fix the leak I am having on the rear window, Hardtop.

Some said,
the liftgate,
some said the brackets that hold the window..etc

But my case was different,
and I thought of posting this so if someone had the same problem will find the fix easily.

My rear window wasn't sticking (when closed) to the rubber weatherstripping of the hardtop, there was a slight gap which let the water LEAK all the time:
I did replace ALL the rubber weatherstripping, and the sealing of the hardtop (starting from the front to the back, ALL replaced with new ones)

The solution?
Quickest and less painful, and of course CHEAP.

I bought Rubber Foam Weatherseal, self-stick
and I stuck it to the Hardtop weatherstripping, YES, ON IT.

It filled the gap, between the hardtop weatherstripping and the rear window with NO LEAK at all.

*Check the photos attached*

I find it effective.
Thank you. :cool:

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

I’m having same issue. Tightened all hinge bolts first and that didn’t work. Water comes in right from the middle of the glass at the top. Replaced the seal yesterday with mopar replacement. Still leaks.

I’m having the same issue here, I tried the bolts, no luck.

Now for extra weather strip.

I had the same issue, I found that my hinges had been bent ever so slightly (not even noticeable until compared to a new set) from years of use. After replacing the hinges I am leak free! Could always try a new set of hinges and see if it corrects the problem.

Mine leaks a little when it rains but I don't worry about it. I have the brackets installed for the tonneau cover that attach to the top corners of rear door, and it pushes the bottom of the window slightly out. It doesn't cause a leak on top but rain will drip around the weatherstripping and get in the bottom. I never really thought of my Jeep as a rain proof vehicle anyway. Especially since the doors come off, the top come off, and the windshield folds down. Plus, I have so many drain plugs that make removing water so easy. That is why I took out the carpet and bedlined it. As long as I stay dry inside, I'm happy. In an intense storm, I do have to soak up water inside, but no big deal. It's a Jeep, not an Aston Martin.

I stand corrected! No weather strip but new hinges are needed now.
F**ing Jeep Time, always lurking around!!!

IMG_4978.jpeg

Oops, a little too much torque there? Glad you didn’t shatter the back glass, that would have been a much more costly mistake. Other option would be to tap it out one size larger and see if a bolt would fit. I don’t think there would be any issue with a larger bolt. Just don’t crank down too hard or you’ll be sourcing a new rear window.

Reactions: ChasUGC
Oops, a little too much torque there? Glad you didn’t shatter the back glass, that would have been a much more costly mistake. Other option would be to tap it out one size larger and see if a bolt would fit. I don’t think there would be any issue with a larger bolt. Just don’t crank down too hard or you’ll be sourcing a new rear window.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus, if the rear window had the defogger and tint built in, it would probably cost a thousand dollars.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus, if the rear window had the defogger and tint built in, it would probably cost a thousand dollars.

Glass is just one reason I keep full coverage on my TJ. Minimal difference between liability and full coverage, and that $0 deductible on glass replacement is worth every penny.