Has anyone ever messed with your Jeep when the top is off?

Apparently a manual transmission is one of the best anti-theft devices available. You can find story after story from around the nation. A lady here had her car jacked a couple of years ago, and the guy got 1 block away from her before leaving it. She said he was trying to get away in first gear for a while then killed it.

Reactions: JMT
Apparently a manual transmission is one of the best anti-theft devices available. You can find story after story from around the nation. A lady here had her car jacked a couple of years ago, and the guy got 1 block away from her before leaving it. She said he was trying to get away in first gear for a while then killed it.

High school grad, or just a gifted genius ? ........... :rolleyes:

Reactions: InOmaha

That made me imagine a poor Rubicon thief who just starts yanking on things and ends up in 1st/4low for his slow noisy getaway.

• Haha
Reactions: Carter6 and InOmaha
More than likely he had it red lined in 1st, finally figured out how to shift it, then put it in high gear and killed it. Then forgot to push the clutch in to restart it. If stealing something starts feeling like work, most thieves give up and move on to easier targets.

My daughter's drove a stick and it took a little while to get comfortable. It's a great thing to give a kid as their first car. They can't text, phone, eat, etc. while driving and they'll never forget it. The 6 speed manual has taken me a little while to get used to operating. I grew up on a 4 speed and I've shifted from 2nd to 5th, or 6th to 3rd several times on accident due to the narrower spacing.

Reactions: Willys LJ
My back up remains in the TJ if I have to run into a store or something. Trained by the Philadelphia Police Dept. K-9 unit and will remain on point until commanded to do otherwise. I have plenty of other tricks too numerous to mention and never let my guard down.

DSCN1253.JPG

Alright, @Francis Perry, what are you doing? You are calling up threads that died 4+ years ago. I mean, really? I thought I read a lot. You are digging up old graves. Crazy. Not being critical. It’s just kind of funny.
My bad. New to this forum and TJs in general. Was reading through 400+ threads and responding to a few that personally apply to me...

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I never have had any trouble to my knowledge.

Years ago someone slashed a tire on one I had at a football game...I'm trying to think of the circumstances but the feel of it was I had gone out with a girl and somebody wasn't happy about it.

May have been the girl I was out with.

Really was a true story... just been a long long time.

Last edited:
The ONE night I left my wife's Jeep in the driveway it was broken into. I remember looking at it before I went to bed and thought "hmmmm, did I lock it?" and then went to bed... with it unlocked.
They didn't take the change, the ipod or the garage door opener. Those little f'ers took my log book which I documented in detail everything I did during break in, any maintenance, mods etc... why the heck would you take that.
Fast forward a few months and the kids were around again and this time took someone's garage door opener and came back for their car. That got the local police chief's attention but nooooo not my log book.

I hate to even reply, but I have not had anyone mess with my Jeep with the top off. It is off often and parked with a cover on in a sort of bad area, but not that bad and parked with the top off in a very exclusive area. I take my radio face off and have nothing in my TJ and lock it up in my Tuffy center console. I really don't have anything valuable in it. My half door tops are in the back, but chained down with a huge lock.

I realize real thieves can take stuff, but I just try to make it harder, so the crappy thieves just don't bother.

Reactions: mgroeger
Damn it is old, but this type of thread should live on. Years don't matter that much unless we hit really hard times.
I was just playing on the old " your mama is so whatever" type line when someone mentioned it being old and brought up again.

a lot of times reviving an old thread is just as good as a new one especially when somebody hasn't seen it before.

Really keeps the Forum interesting.

Reactions: gg1 and jjvw
Continuing an old thread is perfectly fine. Just don't expect a response if you are asking for a tire review or offering help with a fuel pump on a 16 year old post. ;)

Reactions: AndyG
Continuing an old thread is perfectly fine. Just don't expect a response if you are asking for a tire review or offering help with a fuel pump on a 16 year old post. ;)
I think when the thread is older than the TJ... It might be time to start something new.

One guy said people shouldn't be allowed to drive when they're old enough to remember when there were no cars. I've always thought that was a good reference point.

I think when the thread is older than the TJ... It might be time to start something new.

My very first AOL email address was from about 1996 and I was aware of BBS services shortly after that. I wonder how many of those boards are still running.

No one has messed with my TJ, but years ago I had a fully restored WWII Ford GPW and it had no top. Was at a coffee shop and some jerk cut the seat cushions with a razor knife and poored bear into the cushion. Very expensive to replace.