Has anyone everyone bought or sold a Jeep and had it shipped?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
As many of you know, I am selling my Jeep. I have been talking with this gentlemen who lives in Massachusetts. He is wanting me to ship the Jeep to him. Has anyone done this before who can give me insight? What form of payment did you send/receive? What company did you use to ship/buy the Jeep?

Just bought a subaru from WA.
That being said. As the buyer. It was on me to set up the shipping.

cost $2500 from Tacoma to Fairbanks. That’s with the boat ride the. The truck shipping. State to state in lower 48 should be cheaper.

Reactions: Mora
I bought @ToddK's Jeep here on the forum, which I am very happy I did.

This would be just one of many vehicles I've purchased online and had shipped to me. It is however the first private sale vehicle I've purchased online, as all the others have purchased were through dealers.

Buying a vehicle out of state through a dealer is easy, as you can pretty much be certain a dealer isn't going to screw you.

When Todd and I did the transaction, he mailed me the title on the same day that I overnighted him the cashiers check. Now naturally I had no way of knowing he wouldn't screw me (or I screw him), but he's been a member of the forum for years, so I trusted him (not to mention we talked a number of times on the forum). Of course I'm not going to screw anyone since I run this forum and have a reputation at stake, plus I'm just not that type of guy.

If you don't know the person you are buying it from however, I would suggest either using Escrow to complete the transaction or flying out there, paying them the money, getting the title, and then either driving back, or arranging to have the vehicle shipped back and asking the seller if it's okay if the vehicle sits at their place until it's picked up.

You'll find most people in this life aren't out to screw you. Sure, there are always bad apples, but more often than not, people mean well.

I used Road Runner Auto Transport to ship the Jeep from Massachusetts to Arizona. They did a great job and got it done in a timely manner. I've also shipped a lot of vehicles through uShip as well.

I guess that in ~45 years of buying vehicles (37, for those of you playing at home), I ALWAYS go see it with my own eyes FIRST! I made ONE exception to my own rule, asking a car friend to look at it for me, then had it shipped based on his evaluation - BURNED! MASSIVE oil leak that was being caught by the nefarious "catch pan" that ran the length of the vehicle (BMW)...

It's certainly a MAJOR PITA given this whole Covid thang; having said that, I learned my SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR lesson with that BMW M-6 - I had it a whopping SIX days, then traded it in to the Stealership for my (now 4 year old) 2016 Mazda CX-5; I STILL have to sit down very gently, my azz continues to hurt from THAT lesson!

I also know myself well enough now to know that MY idea of "Excellent Condition" is FAR & AWAY different from 99% of the rest of the World's idea of same; my penance for being OCD...

I bought @ToddK's Jeep here on the forum, which I am very happy I did.

This would be just one of many vehicles I've purchased online and had shipped to me. It is however the first private sale vehicle I've purchased online, as all the others have purchased were through dealers.

Buying a vehicle out of state through a dealer is easy, as you can pretty much be certain a dealer isn't going to screw you.

When Todd and I did the transaction, he mailed me the title on the same day that I overnighted him the cashiers check. Now naturally I had no way of knowing he wouldn't screw me (or I screw him), but he's been a member of the forum for years, so I trusted him (not to mention we talked a number of times on the forum). Of course I'm not going to screw anyone since I run this forum and have a reputation at stake, plus I'm just not that type of guy.

If you don't know the person you are buying it from however, I would suggest either using Escrow to complete the transaction or flying out there, paying them the money, getting the title, and then either driving back, or arranging to have the vehicle shipped back and asking the seller if it's okay if the vehicle sits at their place until it's picked up.

You'll find most people in this life aren't out to screw you. Sure, there are always bad apples, but more often than not, people mean well.

I used Road Runner Auto Transport to ship the Jeep from Massachusetts to Arizona. They did a great job and got it done in a timely manner. I've also shipped a lot of vehicles through uShip as well.

+1 - go with escrow.com for the transfer of cash/title. Link below to a video on how it works.

There are many shipping companies, try a couple like Chris mentioned, and try this site.

https://www.uship.com/

Reactions: Mora and Chris
I bought my LJ through online ad from private seller and had it shipped. Was up to me to arrange shipping but of course seller had to be willing to work with me as shipping broker provides a target date but may not meet that. Mine was at start of Covid so ended up being more than week after target date before actual pickup was scheduled. Then of course for pickup, they provide a time slot, not exact time. I used ShipACarDirect as broker. They were ok not great. I would recommend the actual guy who transported the Jeep as he was awesome but I don’t know if you can book directly (and can’t find the card).

For money part mostly let my bank and sellers bank dictate that. Pretty sure my bank didn’t release any funds until title received and verified. I guess I could have gotten screwed if LJ showed up and wasn’t same as ad but by that point seller had sent me numerous specific photos I asked for, videos with verified date, and fairly long video call with walk around looking at anything I asked for including pulling dipstick to look fluids and drive so I was comfortable.

As seller I would think much less risk for you as really only need verified funds. I would do everything via wire transfers if possible but that may just be because after several years overseas is what I’m used to.

I've had a few cars shipped. I was always the buyer. I think most use https://www.uship.com/vehicles/ to get quotes from many different companies. But i've always had great service from https://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com/ Very good rates and very good customer service. Which is important. Some of these places forget about you once they have your money. Communication is hard to come by sometimes.

All the times ive done it. Ive sent cashier checks. And the other person sends the title. But thats after phone calls and several emails.

Reactions: Mora
Oh wow, thank you to all of you for the information! Looks like it's more of a common thing than I thought it was. I always thought that shipping a car was a very rare thing :LOL: Since it's my first time doing it, I'll probably go through Escrow to ensure that everything is going to be legit and safe. Thank you, everyone!!

My neighbor owns Intercity Lines, I expect them to be expensive as they have only enclosed trailers and mostly haul expensive cars, but they are in based in Massachusetts and you would deal directly with them no brokers. Sorry I don’t know this neighbor and can’t get any advice for you.

As many of you know, I am selling my Jeep. I have been talking with this gentlemen who lives in Massachusetts. He is wanting me to ship the Jeep to him. Has anyone done this before who can give me insight? What form of payment did you send/receive? What company did you use to ship/buy the Jeep?
Good luck with your transaction. I have bought and sold several vehicles and a couple of rvs on line in the past few years. Most worked out. Bank to bank wire transfers seem to work pretty good. Be sure your bank gives approval before the vehicle is moved. Even if you have the title it may be hard to recover the vehicle it the deal goes south. Let the buyer arrange his own shipping, don’t get involved except to watch them load it. This way you don’t have any liability, it’s all between the buyer and shipper. That said, I will never buy another vehicle without looking at it. At my age I have had enough surprises. I will also never sell another vehicle unless the buyer comes and looks at it, pays for it, and takes it with him. I just don’t need the drama.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I bought my 03 Rubi, T-boned in texas through pictures. I gulped and paid for it. Hired a flatbed transport company to haul it to South Dakota, $600 plus a fork lift to load it. Everything worked out great for both parties, but MAKE SURE you have the title squared away before you do anything

What did that cost Chris? I have two vehicles I'll be shipping from here in San Diego to Florida next year. Good to have a recommendation for Road Riunner and Uship thanks!

Reactions: Apparition
What did that cost Chris? I have two vehicles I'll be shipping from here in San Diego to Flo next year. Good to have a recommendation for Road Riunner Uship.

To have my TJ shipped from MA to AZ it cost me just over $1500.

They were good though and it took them less than a week once they picked it up to deliver it to me.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Good luck with your transaction. I have bought and sold several vehicles and a couple of rvs on line in the past few years. Most worked out. Bank to bank wire transfers seem to work pretty good. Be sure your bank gives approval before the vehicle is moved. Even if you have the title it may be hard to recover the vehicle it the deal goes south. Let the buyer arrange his own shipping, don’t get involved except to watch them load it. This way you don’t have any liability, it’s all between the buyer and shipper. That said, I will never buy another vehicle without looking at it. At my age I have had enough surprises. I will also never sell another vehicle unless the buyer comes and looks at it, pays for it, and takes it with him. I just don’t need the drama.
Ive bought a few cars and had them shipped. The biggest drama i have found is the failure of local inspections. Dealerships and private mechanics. Eitjer they miss obvoius things. Or side on the sellers side. And purposely dont list obvious items that need repair. Even on low mileage classics.

To have my TJ shipped from MA to AZ it cost me just over $1500.

They were good though and it took them less than a week once they picked it up to deliver it to me.
Very reasonable. I've long considered any future long term vehicles I plan to hold onto that I'll go search in the southwest rather than my local rust belt. Glad to have a estimate on the shipping and know it's not out of the question. $1500 for a non-rusted vehicle is WELL worth it! 😉

Reactions: Ron505 and Chris
Very reasonable. I've long considered any future long term vehicles I plan to hold onto that I'll go search in the southwest rather than my local rust belt. Glad to have a estimate on the shipping and know it's not out of the question. $1500 for a non-rusted vehicle is WELL worth it! 😉
Yep, the money you’ll save from buying a rust free TJ and having it shipped cross country will pay for itself ten fold in the end.

As was mentioned, most are brokers who find drivers/trucks. Cheaper rates for open vs closed trailers. I tried to have Roadrunner(to save a few bucks) ship last year, gave them the target dates and they dropped the ball. One day before my cutoff, or I would have been driving a ‘66 Mustang through the desert with no AC, I called Pilot transport. Pilot owns their trucks, no broker. They carried the ball over the line for the win! If I have to ever ship again, no broker for me.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford