Has anyone found a better stereo mount? Mine keep breaking

EzPeezy

TJ Enthusiast
I've already replaced the plastic radio mount once after the mounting tabs broke. Now I'm at the point where the replacement is hanging on by a thread. It seems like fast bumpy driving just wrecks them after a few years. Does anyone know of a metal bracket that would work with a single din stereo in our Jeeps? My other idea is just buying a new plastic one and reinforcing it with an epoxy or something.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

I've already replaced the plastic radio mount once after the mounting tabs broke. Now I'm at the point where the replacement is hanging on by a thread. It seems like fast bumpy driving just wrecks them after a few years. Does anyone know of a metal bracket that would work with a single din stereo in our Jeeps? My other idea is just buying a new plastic one and reinforcing it with an epoxy or something.

Following.... My plastic tabs were broken when I first got the jeep. By the looks of it someone tried to steal the stereo by pulling it out. I forget exactly what I did to "fix it" but it involved applying jb weld and some washers to the broken plastic tabs. Like you I'm always thinking one big bump and the whole things going to fly out.

Reactions: EzPeezy
Support the rear of the radio as best you can (wood, metal strap bracing, etc..). It can be a bit of weight that puts pressure on those tabs.

The heavy factory radio, the RB1, uses a steel bracket that bolts to the rear of the deck and goes down to the lower bolts below the switch panel to prevent this. Something to consider.

rbi-bracket.jpg

Edit: not a $50 Mopar bracket but something to support the deck in the rear

The heavy factory radio, the RB1, uses a steel bracket that bolts to the rear of the deck and goes down to the lower bolts below the switch panel to prevent this. Something to consider.

View attachment 118839

Edit: not a $50 Mopar bracket but something to support the deck in the rear
All the factory radios have a rear support brace that bolts to the firewall.

Could u use something like this and bent it to fit?
CF5F3E8C-4D93-47BB-A1D4-1D45EF015372.png

The bracket that was used by my Jeeps PO broke, I replaced with the Metra and it was fine for a couple years, then I swapped to a Kenwood that doesn't do CDs and it seems like it'll last.

I have a lot of washboard roads and awful rs5000 Ranchos if that gives you any indication of what it goes through.

If it does break again I figure I'll buy another and add some metal to support it at the tabs.

Support the rear of the radio as best you can (wood, metal strap bracing, etc..). It can be a bit of weight that puts pressure on those tabs.

This is what you need. Radios used to all come with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch by 7 or 8 inch steel "backstrap" that you would attach to the rear of the deck - there should be a stud or a hole for a screw that you can use to mount the strap to the deck. The other end would be bent or cut/modified and then screwed into a supporting part of the dash. In my TJ I just took this strap, bolted it to the back of the deck, with the length pointing down, then I bent it underneath the deck, guessing how much clearance I needed to the horizontal surface below. The strap supports the rear weight of the deck and relieves the torque on the faceplate.

I've added a horribly drawn side view diagram - the red part is the 'backstrap.' You can get similar strap material at any hardware store I would think. Just make sure it is strong enough to provide support yet weak enough that you can bend it without needing a vise or other heavier tooling.

strap.jpeg