Having trouble removing NV3550 transmission from engine on 2004 TJ 4,0

Bellchr13

Hello all, so my clutch in my 2004 4.0l decided to die on me the other day conveniently the day after I got a new clutch because I knew it was coming. So I disconnected everything yet the trans doesn't seem to want to come off. We tried evening out the engine with the trans with lifts on both. Only got the bottom portion to look like it was separating. The engine has about 135000 on it and might be sure it's never been taken off. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Use a transmission jack. The correct transmission angle is absolutely critical to removing and replacing the transmission and a transmission jack provides that precise enough level of control. 1/16" inch up or down at the rear of the transmission can be the difference in getting it removed or replaced or not. There are guide pins and they're what have to be precisely positioned in their respective guide holes before they'll release their grip.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Did you take the starter off?
My son had his engine and trans out of the car and couldn't get them apart. He ruined my deadblow hammer beating on the transmission. After about 20 minutes, I stopped what I was doing and walked over to help. As I started to remove the starter bolts, the transmission came right off.

Did you take the starter off?
My son had his engine and trans out of the car and couldn't get them apart. He ruined my deadblow hammer beating on the transmission. After about 20 minutes, I stopped what I was doing and walked over to help. As I started to remove the starter bolts, the transmission came right off.
Yup. Starters off. The 4 big bolts on the bell housing the 2 torn bits the 3 weird screws. All the electrical the transfer case shifter

It may just be stuck on the dowels, double check that you are sure everything is disconnected. if it is, rock the tranny up and down and side to side, should loosen up a bit. There should be a dowel on either side in approx 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. #26 in the picture( and I realize the picture is an auto, it just for ref.) In some cases VERY carful work with a pry bar can help, but only after
it starts to move a bit.
dc7c7b20983fd6052fdbb1fc9040df4d.png

Reactions: hosejockey61