Head scratcher for today

So if you have a bad plug, burned valve, etc, you can at least diagnose what cylinder is having a problem, if you pull a wire and tell what cylinder is causing the issue. Its way easier to pull a plug wire than to just start swapping parts. IMHO

Just asking so forgive my ignorance...

Does someone make plug wire extensions? Plug them into the coil rail then on to the plugs. This way you can still remove one at a time.
(Obviously, just for troubleshooting purposes)

Is this my $1,000,000 idea???

Edit- Damn! There goes my next (my first actually) million dollar idea, they are already out there.

Last edited:
So if you have a bad plug, burned valve, etc, you can at least diagnose what cylinder is having a problem, if you pull a wire and tell what cylinder is causing the issue. Its way easier to pull a plug wire than to just start swapping parts. IMHO
Bad plugs are easy enough to fix. No need for that there. I have a scanner. It will tell me which cylinder has a misfire. I would never ever swap out a coil on plug rail to add the complexity of a set of plug wires.

Bad plugs are easy enough to fix. No need for that there. I have a scanner. It will tell me which cylinder has a misfire. I would never ever swap out a coil on plug rail to add the complexity of a set of plug wires.
You meant that it will tell you what 2 cylinders are having a missfire...only if you have a high resistance for the coil pair...

You meant that it will tell you what 2 cylinders are having a missfire...only if you have a high resistance for the coil pair...
I have worked on 100's of TJ's. Not once have I ever thought, you know, if I just had a plug wire going to each plug, this would be so much easier. Not once. Others are of course, welcome to do it however it pleases their sensibilities. This doesn't please mine in the least so I won't be doing it.

Just asking so forgive my ignorance...

Does someone make plug wire extensions? Plug them into the coil rail then on to the plugs. This way you can still remove one at a time.
(Obviously, just for troubleshooting purposes)

Is this my $1,000,000 idea???

Edit- Damn! There goes my next (my first actually) million dollar idea, they are already out there.
There's a few conversions for the XJ that I've seen. Using the viper coil pack seems to be common.

IDK why they do it, but the XJ people are a little off to start with.

There's a few conversions for the XJ that I've seen. Using the viper coil pack seems to be common.

IDK why they do it, but the XJ people are a little off to start with.
Most seem to be poor, so they come up with ideas on how to fix things that TJ owners would just buy a new part for...

Not really a test, just some info. I helped a guy who was told his SKIM was messing up and locked them out so they couldn't start the rig. Mechanic wanted 2 grand to fix it. He sent the PCM to us with the ignition key, lock cylinder, and SKIM module. We plugged it into a good vehicle, found out the PCM was bad, located another one, added 2 SKIM keys to the existing single and programmed it all to work. The labor plus the new parts was about 450ish out the door back to him.

He gets it back, installs it and says we sent him a PCM that is causing an ignition misfire on #5. I explain that isn't possible for it to have died in transit and it was good when it left. He says mechanic checked by putting test leads at PCM. I explain it is a waste fire system and it would have 2 dead cylinders if the PCM were causing the misfire and the mechanic needs to look elsewhere. He says the mechanic checked the other cylinder at the PCM and it has 2 that aren't being fired. No, again, there are only 3 triggers at the PCM that fire the coil.

He wouldn't listen, kept insisting that I sent him a bad PCM. I tell him to send it back, he does, we fire it up in the test rig and send him screenshots of the DRB scanner screen showing all 6 cylinders running fine with zero misfires detected.

He replies back, okay, good, now we know to look someplace else. Grrrrrrr!
Should have charged him for the retest since it wasn't your fault.

I really dont think that is Blaine's way of doing business. He works hard to try and keep people happy and satisfied, and that would not probably make the guy very happy, whether we think its right or wrong. Tim

Possibly, or more than possibly but I struggle with stuff like that. If I didn't want to help him in the first place, I would have declined from the get go. Since I did want to help, it is contrary to that to be punitive because he doesn't trust what we say.

I really dont think that is Blaine's way of doing business. He works hard to try and keep people happy and satisfied, and that would not probably make the guy very happy, whether we think its right or wrong. Tim
We landed essentially the same thought seconds apart.

I realize that you and I are wired different but I do acknowledge that you have a lot of experience. I also appreciate your help you have given me and I also (while sometimes being a smart ass) do try to help people also and pass along the good gesture.

It's times like these that I'm really glad that I'm too much of a complete idiot to be able to get fucked over by trying to help people.