Heater Core Replacement Suggestions?

I installed the Superior Cooling Systems yesterday. I haven't had a chance to run it yet to see how it does. I got mine for $150, but I noticed that they are up to $189 now. It seems to be built pretty well. the only thing that was wrong, was the small support plate between the two tubes was off and it didn't line up with the screw hole. I will report back when I get some road time on it. If you decide to go with one of these, I suggest you call them for availability. Online said they were in stock and after I ordered, I received an email refunding my money, because they were out of stock.
https://www.superiorcooling.co/4874...jeep-cherokee-comanche-wagoneer-wrangler.htmlIgoo65

The core from superior was one that i was curious about. I assume the support plate issue was easy to work around. Anyone else on here who has ran this core for a decent length of time? If so, hows it holding up?

Also looking for feedback from anyone running a core by APDI/PRO, OSC, OMIX, or CROWN. My heater core is leaking pretty good now so it's gotta come out. Since MOPAR/VALEO are no longer an option, i'am looking to see what other ppl are having luck with in regards to heater cores that are a option. I am trying to avoid going with spectra or brassworks for opposite reasons. I don't know anyones who's had good "long term" luck with spectra radiators or heater cores in any make.As to brassworks I installed their core in my old 98 tj back in 2001 and it is still going strong to this day for the current owner. Back then it was on the pricey side and i had to wait 1 1/2 months for them to make it off of my old one. I'll go that route before chancing spectra but i'am hoping there's a middle ground option that will last.

Reactions: Igoo65
I installed an OSC heater core from rockauto last summer.
All I can really say is that it hasn't leaked yet.

And I think that it took me 3x as long to install as any normal person, and I never want to do it again.
Unfortunately I am starting to get pretty good at replacing my heater core! 😂 The first time it took me a day and a half to replace it (that was with cleaning everything thoroughly). The second time, I had it done in about 5 hours. I found out that I don't need to pull the dash and steering wheel all the way out. What takes time now is unbolting my Rock Hard 4x4 sport cage. If I didn't have to do that, I could probably have the heater core replaced in under 4 hours. Yes I do not want to do this again either! Hopefully the Superior heater core will last! Here are some pictures on how I supported the dash.
IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunder and reddvltj
I ponied up for a Brassworx one and it was absolutely outrageously expensive and doesn’t put out very much heat. It is a different design with flat tubes like a radiator instead of the coil type that the Oem one was. Whatever the cause, I’m not very happy with it.
Did you have to remove the core alignment guides in the heater box to install? The Brass Works is 1/4" wider than the finned aluminum cores and it's hitting these guides preventing the two box halves from going together. I hate to hear you're not happy with yours because I obviously just bought one myself and began installing. I guess I'll see how I feel about it once I can get it installed. Thanks for any info.

Reactions: John Cooper
I did not have to mod the air box at all. I just used some off the shelf foam weatherstripping. I since then completely flushed the cooing system really thoroughly and repla the water pump because it blew a seal. Really never got any better. Basically I think the heat sucks now but I’m not that motivated to rip my dash apart and throw away a 300$ heater core to try something else. I’m probably just going to get some heated seat inserts and call it good.

Dredging this one back up to see if there are any updated opinions on the best aftermarket options. I ordered one from performance radiator per @Mr. Bills recommendation and my past experience with them and what arrived was a pretty cheap looking unit from APC (AutoParts Components, Inc.), made in China. Is this as good as it gets?

• Wow
Reactions: reddvltj
To be clear I replaced the heater core because it was leaking so bad it fogged up the windshield and the fumes gave me a splitting headache

I am watching this thread also. I had an 18 month old core violently explode filling the cab with steam and coolant. I am waiting to have it replaced again and don't know the brand in there now or what to use for a replacement. Suggestions needed please.

I am watching this thread also. I had an 18 month old core violently explode filling the cab with steam and coolant. I am waiting to have it replaced again and don't know the brand in there now or what to use for a replacement. Suggestions needed please.
OEM would probably be the safest bet

Here's a link you can either get it from or use the OEM number to see if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-heater-heater-core-assembly~5073180ab.html

I did a search on this subject, but was coming up empty. About 8 months ago I replaced the heater core in my 97 TJ and last week it started leaking again. I had to go with a Spectra brand heater core from Napa, because I couldn't find a Mopar one. My question is, has anyone had any success with a particular aftermarket brand heater core. I really don't want to use a Spectra again if I can help it.
Thanks,
Igoo65
https://wranglertjforum.com/search/1044902/?q=performanceradiator&o=date

Dredging this one back up to see if there are any updated opinions on the best aftermarket options. I ordered one from performance radiator per @Mr. Bills recommendation and my past experience with them and what arrived was a pretty cheap looking unit from APC (AutoParts Components, Inc.), made in China. Is this as good as it gets?
I took the same recommendation and got the same APC unit. It was the cheapest cost of any I looked at, and saw nothing special about it, just another aluminum core. I installed it about 2 months ago, and so far so good. Not sure what year you have or how much you're willing to spend, but if you want to go all-in with copper: https://thebrassworks.net/products/2002-2006-jeep-wrangler-heater-core

Last edited:
Mine is a 2004, but same part for 2002-2006.
With as many OEM Mopar warehouses still listing them as there are that's odd...
I guess they are 5 years past the 10 year service mark... Sounds like Brassworks is probably the best option.. even if it is more than the OEM...

I took the same recommendation and got the same APC unit. It was the cheapest cost of any I looked at, and saw nothing special about it, just another aluminum core. I installed it about 2 months ago, and so far so good. Not sure what year you have or how much you're willing to spend, but if you want to go all-in with copper: https://thebrassworks.net/products/2002-2006-jeep-wrangler-heater-core
Tbonejeeper, thanks for the suggestion. Aviatortroy, post #29, does not like the brass works one though. I ordered one through mopar parts giant just before you posted about them. I will just wait and see if I have any luck and post my experience.