Heavy duty phone mounts

Mob armor here. I use the magnetic disc attachment though and can pull the mount between the jeep and truck. Only issues I've had is that if you leave the actual mount on the disc on cold or hot, the magnet will pull the disc off the dash. As long as you give it about 5 minutes to cool down or heat up, its been fine.

(I've jumped the truck, and worked through rocky rutted roads where the cab is tossed side to side with out issue)

My Jeep came with a crude overhead plank of wood that had RAM balls drilled on it. I wanted to stick with the RAM setup but didnt want to do any major drillling. I went with the ProClip USA phone mount and attached a RAM ball to it. Its held up pretty well. I have the Jeep Trail Guide in my center dash area so i couldnt really go that route as others have. This does impede the use of the CD seek buttons on the radio, but i have an AUX adapter on the back of my radio that removes the CD function, so its a nonissue.
jeep Phone Mount.jpg

Reactions: WSS
It's a slow work day, so what the hell...
I am historically rough on my phones. I've dropped (thrown?) them more times than I can count.
The absolute best investment I ever made was my first Otterbox case. That phone was literally run over by cars on a busy street and the case saved it.
That said, I also tend to take my phone with me on the bike, on the motorcycle, in the car, etc. and a pocket isn't always the best place for it, especially if I'm using it for navigation or streaming music, etc.
About 10 years ago I purchased a holder that snapped over the case, much like the belt holsters that I had never used. That inspired me to modify the belt clip that came with the case to see if i could make a secure, "docking station' for my multiple vehicles.
This is the result of that endeavor... a solid, case specific, snap-locking grip that will secure the phone upside down, inside out, etc.
The metal bracket is a piece of hand cut aluminum plate, bent to fit under the lip of the glovebox door, w/ a hole that utilizes one of the factory screws to secure it.
1647620458926.png

Since my wife changed phones and we no longer have the same size, I had to add another mount for mine.
It works the same way, a metal bracket that uses a factory screw to secure it.
1647620494072.png

I'll be making these same style mounts when/if I ever change phones or vehicles; they really are that solid.

How are the mounts attached to the tray? Do they go through to a part of the dash structure? The bezel plastic alone seems a little weak for the task, but I notice Gosborne's do not look stressed or weak.

A buddy of mine has the same setup in his 14 F150, we overland a bunch and his is rock solid on washboard and rough terrain. His was specific for his F150 I think. I kn ow I could not find a specific for my 08 F150.
the base plate is mounted with 4 bolts and fender washers on the underside. Plenty of room

I didn't trust the plastic dash tray, so I fabricated this plate to fit under it. The Ram balls screw into welded nuts, so they're also easy to remove. The holes can then be covered by a rubber tray liner.
The plate took a lot of trial and error, and even a few redesigns. So, lots of extra holes.

20211204_123001.jpg20211204_165515.jpg20211204_170348.jpg

I originally had it set up with a rail. However, the first time I put the balls on, I realized I would probably never move them. So why have a rail.

Last edited:
How are the mounts attached to the tray? Do they go through to a part of the dash structure? The bezel plastic alone seems a little weak for the task, but I notice Gosborne's do not look stressed or weak.

A buddy of mine has the same setup in his 14 F150, we overland a bunch and his is rock solid on washboard and rough terrain. His was specific for his F150 I think. I kn ow I could not find a specific for my 08 F150.

Just installed them.

You have 3 mounting choices.

1. Self tapping screws. Considered light duty.

2. Well screws... expansion anchors. Heavy duty.

3. Nuts and bolts... heavy duty. Need to remove dash... which is no biggie.

I went with option 3... and it seems very secure. The weak point would be the plastic dash... but you would have to seriously torque and abuse the arm/base to crack the dash.

The phone holder itself seems very secure with plenty of tension.

I haven't ran any trails with it yet tho. But I feel good about this option... I have gone thru 4 different types of phone holders.

It's a slow work day, so what the hell...
I am historically rough on my phones. I've dropped (thrown?) them more times than I can count.
The absolute best investment I ever made was my first Otterbox case. That phone was literally run over by cars on a busy street and the case saved it.
That said, I also tend to take my phone with me on the bike, on the motorcycle, in the car, etc. and a pocket isn't always the best place for it, especially if I'm using it for navigation or streaming music, etc.
About 10 years ago I purchased a holder that snapped over the case, much like the belt holsters that I had never used. That inspired me to modify the belt clip that came with the case to see if i could make a secure, "docking station' for my multiple vehicles.
This is the result of that endeavor... a solid, case specific, snap-locking grip that will secure the phone upside down, inside out, etc.
The metal bracket is a piece of hand cut aluminum plate, bent to fit under the lip of the glovebox door, w/ a hole that utilizes one of the factory screws to secure it.
View attachment 316648
Since my wife changed phones and we no longer have the same size, I had to add another mount for mine.
It works the same way, a metal bracket that uses a factory screw to secure it.
View attachment 316649
I'll be making these same style mounts when/if I ever change phones or vehicles; they really are that solid.
What happens if the airbag deploys? Does it become a projectile?

I had a Jecar holder... similar to yours, utilizing a z-bar bracket. But the phone was still in the deployment path of the airbag.

Just installed them.

You have 3 mounting choices.

1. Self tapping screws. Considered light duty.

2. Well screws... expansion anchors. Heavy duty.

3. Nuts and bolts... heavy duty. Need to remove dash... which is no biggie.

I went with option 3... and it seems very secure. The weak point would be the plastic dash... but you would have to seriously torque and abuse the arm/base to crack the dash.

The phone holder itself seems very secure with plenty of tension.

I haven't ran any trails with it yet tho. But I feel good about this option... I have gone thru 4 different types of phone holders.
Do you think this would be or could be a good place for 1/4-20 nutserts?