Hello from England

Keith_L

We don't actually have a Jeep Wrangler yet but my wife and I both enjoy our cars and driving, and over the years we have enjoyed various off-road sessions either at Land Rover events at Eastnor, Solihull or Gaydon or in Yorkshire or Wales. Now we are retired we fancied at least giving it a try to see how we got on. Maybe more green-laning than hard-core off-roading. We also fancied something other than the ubiquitous Defender - something a bit smaller and a bit more fun such as a Suzuki Jimny, Fiat Panda 4x4 or a Jeep Wrangler. Covid has rather curtailed our investigations but yesterday we spotted a 2002 Wrangler Safari for sale in someone's drive locally which we will investigate more fully. Meanwhile we will use the Forum to assist us in making sure we look out for potential problems.

Reactions: Chris and steelhd
Sounds good, remember to take lots of pics! Especially of the frame, rear control arm area, torque boxes, rear crossmember, etc.

Welcome !

200.gif

You can easily find RHD TJ's for export from Japan. Often they are low mileage rigs in fairly good condition. I understand laws in Japan make keeping older vehicles cost prohibitive. You can search online and find import/export dealers. As access to parts suppliers and tech support is more limited outside of the US, try to steer clear of 2005/2006 rigs with automatic transmissions. The TCM can be finicky and the solutions will not be local or inexpensive generally. While many in the US would disagree with me, many outside the US do not. There are plenty of people that have no issues at all, but the ones who do rue the day. BTW, there are solutions if you are ever in that situation. We have a big group of TJ owners here in the UAE, lots of Brits. The TJs really do well in the dunes. Plenty of scrap dealers for RHD parts here as well as they import them just to scrap them and sell the parts. Sad to see some really nice rigs get chopped up just to sell off the bits.

Hi, welcome. Make sure you check out the Uk forum in the regional forums area - no doubt you’ve found it. I'm not massively into customisation but I’ve found this site brilliant for tips on things I can do myself to save money...

We don't actually have a Jeep Wrangler yet but my wife and I both enjoy our cars and driving, and over the years we have enjoyed various off-road sessions either at Land Rover events at Eastnor, Solihull or Gaydon or in Yorkshire or Wales. Now we are retired we fancied at least giving it a try to see how we got on. Maybe more green-laning than hard-core off-roading. We also fancied something other than the ubiquitous Defender - something a bit smaller and a bit more fun such as a Suzuki Jimny, Fiat Panda 4x4 or a Jeep Wrangler. Covid has rather curtailed our investigations but yesterday we spotted a 2002 Wrangler Safari for sale in someone's drive locally which we will investigate more fully. Meanwhile we will use the Forum to assist us in making sure we look out for potential problems.
As a fellow Brit I see where you are coming from. I have a much modified 110XS Puma Defender and have owned the original Panda 4x4 (excellent, pure fun).

The Defender brings a smile to my face, the TJ a wide grin (2002 safari auto).

Both are used off road and the simple TJ is more fun, a better test of driver skills, but not as quite as able as the Defender.

Look carefully at Japanese imports. if standard they may be O.K. lifted/modified ones need careful scrutiny - cheap and problematic lift kits abound on Jap "mall cruisers" 🇬🇧 (y)

Incidentally the TJ is a non starter at present awaiting a Crankshaft Position sensor, the Defender has an alarm issue and the 2011 Nissan X-trail (wife's car, she chose it) is as reliable as ever (but not fun).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Post some photos of your TJ when you find one. You’ll love these things!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have moved to the dark side (well the green side really) and put a deposit down on a Land Rover Discovery 2 instead of a Jeep.

I wanted to thank everyone here for their help, advice and encouragement during our search for a Wrangler.

Hopefully we can all get out there this summer and enjoy our vehicles to the full.

Thanks again.

Keith

Reactions: Chris