Help Diagnosing Coolant Leak

Zedd

TJ Enthusiast
50D994B6-1543-4C0F-8B48-1F85A77B0027.jpeg

Thoughts? New to Jeeps and new to car repair. If I can diagnose it I’m confident I can repair it. I think it might be the cap or maybe the tube’s clamps? I’m hoping someone will be like: “Oh I had this totally happen. It’s ____.” 😂

I would try to wipe it off really good and then start the engine and watch it to see if you can then tell where it is coming from. It looks to me like maybe the cap is leaking.

Reactions: Zedd
What does your temperature get to when its warmed up?

I'd take the cap off, look at it and the hole for debris, and put it back on. Make sure it's on all the way and locked tight.

The spring is the pressure relieve valve. The top has another seal on it to seal the coolant and direct it to the overflow tube/tank.

So if it pops and the top isnt sealed due to a bad seal or it's not turned into the notches, it can leak there.

Otherwise it's coming from somewhere around that area.

Just go rent the tool, it replaces the radiator cap (with it cold) and you can pump up the pressure and look for the leak without getting burned (literally). Right tool for the right job...

Reactions: qslim and InOmaha
Just go rent the tool, it replaces the radiator cap (with it cold) and you can pump up the pressure and look for the leak without getting burned (literally). Right tool for the right job...

This really is the right way to find a coolant leak. Most chain parts stores will let you rent them, you simply replace the radiator cap with a fitting that allows you to pressurize the system by hand.

Looks to me like the coolant is being blown around by the fan and ambient airflow.

This really is the right way to find a coolant leak.

Will the tool find a leaking radiator cap?

Edit: I really don't know I've never used the tool.

Will the tool find a leaking radiator cap?

Edit: I really don't know I've never used the tool.

Hahaha, actually no. That's literally the ONLY part that it won't find. The kit has a bunch of radiator caps with one-way nipples in the middle that you connect a hand pump to. You just install the cap that fits your radiator, pump the system up to pressure, and start looking around.

Why yes it will, it has an adapter to fit the cap on and pressure test it.

Depends on the kit. The one I have does not, but I'm cheap.

Hahaha, actually no. That's literally the ONLY part that it won't find. The kit has a bunch of radiator caps with one-way nipples in the middle that you connect a hand pump to. You just install the cap that fits your radiator, pump the system up to pressure, and start looking around.

Depends on the kit. The one I have does not, but I'm cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FDL1TW/?tag=wranglerorg-20