Help diagnosing squealing noise

Zoeyts987

Need help!

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L

My jeep keeps making this high pitch whistle noise. It usually happens about 5-10 minutes after starting up and it stops whenever I accelerate But a soon as i let off the gas pedal it'll start whistling again.
When its cold outside it happens every time I drive. When Its hot outside, it happens here and there but not as often as when its cold.

At this time, I had the A/C Belt and Tensioner replaced and the PCV valve replaced but its still making the whistle noise.

Anyone have any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else on here?

Thanks!

More than likely it’s associated with your serpentine belt. Either the belt itself or the tensioner, idler pulley, or one of the accessory pulleys.

another common cause is a vacuum leak. Mine had the exact same symptoms and it turned out being a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. To fix it all I did was tighten all the manifold bolts.

More than likely it’s associated with your serpentine belt. Either the belt itself or the tensioner, idler pulley, or one of the accessory pulleys.

Ill definitely look into it! The tensioner I've already replaced. But I'll check out the pulleys & serpentine belt as well! Thank you !

Reactions: Chris
Ill definitely look into it! The tensioner I've already replaced. But I'll check out the pulleys & serpentine belt as well! Thank you !

No problem.

One way I've always found to figure out what the culprit is, is to pop the hood while it's squealing, and spray WD-40 at each pulley until the sound goes away. If that happens and the sound goes away, chances are good that the pulley you last sprayed with WD-40 is the one that is going bad.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
My 04 Rubicon does this briefly on cold starts too. It’s only on cold start acceleration so it’s not going to be super easy to pinpoint. It whistles and then goes away as soon as it starts to warm up. Let me know if you find anything. I can’t really diagnose it because it goes away too quickly.

My 04 Rubicon does this briefly on cold starts too. It’s only on cold start acceleration so it’s not going to be super easy to pinpoint. It whistles and then goes away as soon as it starts to warm up. Let me know if you find anything. I can’t really diagnose it because it goes away too quickly.

Tighten the intake manifold bolts.