Help me (and other new members) learn from your mistakes

So, I have owned my jeep for a little over two years. Has 89,000 miles on it. My u joints are going out, and I can't find a difference between the front and rear ones. All of them need to be replaced. I just can't find a place that says which is which. Any help?
Probably not the best place to ask this sort of question. Start a new thread, you'll get better traction.

It's funny this is up to 4 pages and the OP has only replied once :unsure:

Anyway the one thing I have learned is there is no one upgrade that is one and done. Every upgrade leads to another upgrade to get the first upgrade to work like you had planned :ROFLMAO:

I'll challenge some of the things in this thread.

You can totally build for 33s and then 35s as long as you know 35s is the goal. Pick your suspension, gearing, axles, brakes, steering based on 35s, cause they'll all work with 33s. Then when you're ready to take the plunge, throw on a 1.25" body lift before you leave for the tire shop.

Another is the lockers before light bars. It's good advice if you want to tackle real trails, but plenty of people buy Jeeps to bomb down fire and forest service roads and if you happen to do that after dark, the lights will serve you better than lockers. Though I would skip the 52" light bar across the windshield header because the thing those are best at illuminating is the airborne dust, rain, or snow above your hood. I sold mine in Craigslist and went with some spots mounted at the windshield hinge.
Basically what I did,t/t and engine skid was a want from day one,wow lots of steps getting there!oh and get a time machine and go back and buy all of the mopar rock crawler bumpers lol!

When was the last time you drove a stock TJ? I mean totally stock wheels/tires and all!
The biggest problem is people own TJ,s for many different reasons and those reasons overlap way too much into doing totally pointless shit for a look just a look. Do you have 33,s cos you need em? Do you have a 4" plus lift cos you need it? Do you change your shocks cos you need em? Do you really need a tummy tuck and a big break kit? Do you really need a re gear if you dont have the other crap?
Or
Should you focus more on if the so called indestructible powerplant is going to shit itself and the electrical system is going to Gremlin you to suicidal thoughts?

Lets face it, Rubicon is factory trail rated so bringing a TJ to match Rubicon specs should be the mods you can never regret but making a TJ into a Rock Crawling pseudo monster truck then trying to use it as a daily driver is totally idiotic.

A fool and his money are soon parted. :)

Last edited:
The biggest problem is people own TJ,s for many different reasons and those reasons overlap way too much into doing totally pointless shit for a look just a look. Do you have 33,s cos you need em? Do you have a 4" plus lift cos you need it? Do you change your shocks cos you need em? Do you really need a tummy tuck and a big break kit? Do you really need a re gear if you dont have the other crap?
Wants are more important than needs. I wanted a Jeep, I didn't need one. It's your Jeep so you can do anything you want to it. If you want an angry grille, multiple light bars, chrome bumpers and 37s on a Dana 35, go for it. It's your Jeep. I saw a jeep nearby that had 22" wheels and no lift. Apparently he liked it. Too many people build their Jeeps to suit their peers. I don't care what others do to their Jeeps and they shouldn't care what I do to mine.
p.s. It's a Big Brake kit. 🤫
Jeep.gif

Last edited:
Yep, you got it!

If a clean TJ is $18,000 and a beat one is $4,000, you can mark my word you’ll put in another $14,000 to get it to the same level as the clean one. This seems to be true with most vehicles.
If done correctly, the $4K + $14K beat one can be far better than the clean $18k version. Unfortunately, most don't take the time to make this happen, because it requires commitment and work. Ask me how I know! ;)

Anyway the one thing I have learned is there is no one upgrade that is one and done. Every upgrade leads to another upgrade to get the first upgrade to work like you had planned :ROFLMAO:
That's how I ended up moving the frame side front track bar mount. Which led to moving the front springs forward. All I wanted was shocks. The domino effect is real. 🙁

Do you have 33,s cos you need em? Do you have a 4" plus lift cos you need it? Do you change your shocks cos you need em? Do you really need a tummy tuck and a big break kit? Do you really need a re gear if you dont have the other crap?
Do you have a TJ cos you needed one or cos you wanted one? 🧐

Lets face it, Rubicon is factory trail rated so bringing a TJ to match Rubicon specs should be the mods you can never regret but making a TJ into a Rock Crawling pseudo monster truck then trying to use it as a daily driver is totally idiotic.

A fool and his money are soon parted. :)

There's no way I would want a stock Rubicon compared to where mine is. I have an entire build thread on this very topic. 🤫

The cost of a build is exponential compared to tire size.

When looking for a TJ don't just assume 97-06 is a TJ so I'm good. Research the differences between the years and decide on what you want versus what you can live with.

When starting out, go offroad with people that know what they are doing and even better, people that will tell you to take the bypass and don't follow them in certain areas.

Use the search bar on the forum, I guarantee you someone has had trouble starting their Jeep. (I'm guilty of this) Sometimes your situation is unique but guess what, my ignition actuator was broken and that is a common problem.

Having read a few build thread I realized that I, a new Jeep owner, don't know shit. I've already figured out that I don't need a 6" lift, 35" tires and a massive light bar just in case I go offroading one day (which I plan on, but I know my lane). Help us new TJ owners learn from your mistakes. What did you do that you regretted? What vendors suck? What "cool" gear is the mark of a poseur? I get that an angry bird grill is off the table, but what else? I had to learn the same on my MGB, but I'd like this to be a less mistake-ful path.
1.) Best advice is first to drive it for 6 months if you never owned a jeep before. Take it on some trails even if stock and see if wheeling will be a thing for you. Daily drive it for a while to figure it out and see if there are any kinks to work out. It seems the first thing a newbie wants to do is throw money into right away to "look" like the others they see in the wild without knowing where to start.

2.). Over this period research and read up on the most common modification -a lift- what it takes to do a PROPER lift.

3.) After that evaluation period and research, decide what type of wheeling you are going to get into. If you see yourself doing just street go to 31 for the looks. For lighter/medium wheeling then plan for a build out to 33's. You can do that in stages by going to 31's first which will still drastically enhance wheeling then finish the rest with 33's. Maybe invest in some used tires for this route. Any heavier wheeling save up and bite the bullet and build up to 35's all at once.

4.). Like others have said...do it once. Even if you don't plan to wheel, buy higher quality components. Have a plan to start with and get it right the first time. With a few exceptions like Rancho RS5000x shocks and some springs...you are going to get what you pay for. And if you can't do it, pay someone who can. Don't compromise shoddy work/components for safety.

5.). When you start with mods, spend the money on what is actually needed for the mechanical build and don't cheap out. Save the spending for the fluff until later...bumpers, auxillary lights, plasticrap, winch,etc. That stuff won't impact the ride or improve the mechanics of the rig.

6.). Do not buy cheap LED headlights. Stick to a Truck lite, JW Speaker...something at that level. Don't get sucked in by halos and RGB.

7. Have fun with it. You'll make a lot of friends and learn a lot along the way.

8. Nothing is wrong with a stock ride. One that is well kept and maintained is a gem.

9. Never wheel alone.

So, I have owned my jeep for a little over two years. Has 89,000 miles on it. My u joints are going out, and I can't find a difference between the front and rear ones. All of them need to be replaced. I just can't find a place that says which is which. Any help?
You can start your own thread I think to do that and it will depend on the model and year but it’s not hard to get that sorted out and there might be something over in the help section

Keep it simple a simple spacer lift and decent shocks and a good tire will take you a long ways. I regret waiting so long to go with an sye kit but I was broke in my 20s lol keep your bumpers simple and light. If I built mine again I wouldn’t go with 35s I would have stuck with 33s and a mild spacer lift and body lift. I saw bikini tops mentioned but I actually love mine. It was rough in the winter using a shop vac to suck all the snow out of the interior before work. I just put my hard top on now tho.
I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with a bikini top. What don't people like? Is it because they remove the roof, so it's a pain for weather? Something else?

...but making a TJ into a Rock Crawling pseudo monster truck then trying to use it as a daily driver is totally idiotic.

I did it for almost 7 years and 100k miles. Build it correctly and you'll be amazed. You can drive 100 miles, beat the shit out of it for 6 hours on the trail, and then turn around and hit the road again for the 100 mile return trip. Just in time for work on Monday morning
20200809_195053.jpg

I did it for almost 7 years and 100k miles. Build it correctly and you'll be amazed. You can drive 100 miles, beat the shit out of it for 6 hours on the trail, and then turn around and hit the road again for the 100 mile return trip. Just in time for work on Monday morningView attachment 274560
I agree, size and capability has no unsolvable bearing on making the needed changes to make one drive nice- all the crazy stuff people do to “increase flex” etc is pitiful. I’ve seen some pretty wild rigs on the open road running 65 or more. It can be done. I’ve also seen some that were near stock that you couldn’t drive over 45.

Oh man, I've just been soaking up the wisdom. I see this thread as a great resource for all us newbs, and other than liking the posts I'm not sure I have much to add. I'm just enjoying the ride, man!