Help me pick out my next gun

Mossberg 410 pump...very reliable and easy to use...bird shot, steel shot, buck shot, or slug depending on how much damage you want to do...keep in mind that buck shot and slug will do the most damage including going through walls of your own home...you can use a combination of the different shells too...for example first two could be bird shot, next steel, next either buck shot or slug.

Mossberg 410 pump...very reliable and easy to use...bird shot, steel shot, buck shot, or slug depending on how much damage you want to do...keep in mind that buck shot and slug will do the most damage including going through walls of your own home...you can use a combination of the different shells too...for example first two could be bird shot, next steel, next either buck shot or slug.
For the love of God PLEASE don't use a 12 gauge for a home defense gun, whatever shell you use will go through every wall in your house. 5.56 was designed to tumble upon impact in an attempt to keep it from going through every wall, 9mm hollow points are also a good option

For the love of God PLEASE don't use a 12 gauge for a home defense gun, whatever shell you use will go through every wall in your house. 5.56 was designed to tumble upon impact in an attempt to keep it from going through every wall, 9mm hollow points are also a good option

Agreed and that is why I recommend a 410 with different size shot for home defense...I have thought about but never set up a temporary wall to test the theory of the 223/556 with my rifle.

Agreed and that is why I recommend a 410 with different size shot for home defense...I have thought about but never set up a temporary wall to test the theory of the 223/556 with my rifle.
I run a 5.56 10.5" AR pistol with soft tip rounds. Lower velocity, bullet will hopefully disintegrate if I miss, but I'm still not standing in front of it by choice

I have heard the same about the hollow points in a 9mm (any caliber for that matter). My wife and I have the critical defense in ours at home. When I sold guns people would often ask about a 12 ga with buck shot for home defense. I always mentioned a 410 if they were set on a shotgun.

I run a 5.56 10.5" AR pistol with soft tip rounds. Lower velocity, bullet will hopefully disintegrate if I miss, but I'm still not standing in front of it by choice
I'd much rather have a 9mm ar pistol for home defense with an 8 inch or so barrel. Much less muzzle blast. You can get the 124 gr Speer JHP up to 1250 FPS in an 8 inch barrel. Not that I have one or anything.

I buy the lowers 6 at a time. I don't buy them finished because that means they will have a stamped serial number. The ones I buy do not have a finished trigger housing, there fore no serial number.
I do the machining of the housing myself and assemble the lower. The uppers are not complete, I buy the bolt carrier group separate because I'm picky about that particular part. The charging handle is bought separate as well because I want one that's built for ambidextrous use.
I started not worrying about serial numbers long ago.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rick Flair
I've purchased off armslist.com. That may not be an option for some, but I've had zero issues. Prices are high now, but there are cash deals to be had. I use the sheriff's department Craigslist trade area to keep it on the up and up.

You'll be deaf if shooting .556 indoors suppressed or not, but that's a different subject all together. lol

Love talking guns, but the 5.56 was not designed to tumble upon impact to keep it from going through walls. It's designed as light ammunition, so that soldiers and marines could carry more rounds vs the 7.62 which had been a standard mostly. The fact that it's a light round, means it will tumble (like the round that was shot at JFK) and military review sees that as a benefit, because a tumbling round will cause more damage to muscle and organs. The military didn't review and decide on the 5.56, that is based on the .223 Remington Arms round, because it didn't go through walls, I'm not familiar with that being a consideration or question on that round in any literature I've ever read.

I'm not sure how anyone would say a .12 gauge is not a good HD weapon in the right hands. I've got an M4 in 5.56, AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and multiple shotguns. In a HD situation, if you are stopping to put ear protection on....that's interesting is all I have to say. The benefit of a pump....they will run, had many, you can do whatever, rack it and it goes. HD....that's thing 1 to me, if I need it will it go 100%. I'd rather have a handgun personally in close quarters. My m4 is good, I don't leave the suppressor on, so sound is gonna be loud as hell, louder than any .12 guage I've ever shot. It's a great system for HD if you know how to use it, not sure I'd suggest it for the very first firearm. Something with a Surefire that will disorient and intruder with light...is a good idea.

I love my Sigs, and personally I just like my handgun ammo to start with a 4....and my favorite ends with a 5, ha. But my .40 Sig P226 is excellent as well Revolver, frankly, fits the bill, they go 100% (my semi's I've never had a jam, but it's can happen).

So, caring about "loud" I think is a waste, they are all gonna feel loud at 3am. More importantly, they are ALL LOADED, all the time, treat them that way, and only point at what you want to shoot and kill. I don't understand rounds for HD that are meant to wound. If that person is there to kill you, I think it's dangerous to give them a 2nd chance.

Reactions: Tomcat
Love talking guns, but the 5.56 was not designed to tumble upon impact to keep it from going through walls. It's designed as light ammunition, so that soldiers and marines could carry more rounds vs the 7.62 which had been a standard mostly. The fact that it's a light round, means it will tumble (like the round that was shot at JFK) and military review sees that as a benefit, because a tumbling round will cause more damage to muscle and organs. The military didn't review and decide on the 5.56, that is based on the .223 Remington Arms round, because it didn't go through walls, I'm not familiar with that being a consideration or question on that round in any literature I've ever read.

I'm not sure how anyone would say a .12 gauge is not a good HD weapon in the right hands. I've got an M4 in 5.56, AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and multiple shotguns. In a HD situation, if you are stopping to put ear protection on....that's interesting is all I have to say. The benefit of a pump....they will run, had many, you can do whatever, rack it and it goes. HD....that's thing 1 to me, if I need it will it go 100%. I'd rather have a handgun personally in close quarters. My m4 is good, I don't leave the suppressor on, so sound is gonna be loud as hell, louder than any .12 guage I've ever shot. It's a great system for HD if you know how to use it, not sure I'd suggest it for the very first firearm. Something with a Surefire that will disorient and intruder with light...is a good idea.

I love my Sigs, and personally I just like my handgun ammo to start with a 4....and my favorite ends with a 5, ha. But my .40 Sig P226 is excellent as well Revolver, frankly, fits the bill, they go 100% (my semi's I've never had a jam, but it's can happen).

So, caring about "loud" I think is a waste, they are all gonna feel loud at 3am. More importantly, they are ALL LOADED, all the time, treat them that way, and only point at what you want to shoot and kill. I don't understand rounds for HD that are meant to wound. If that person is there to kill you, I think it's dangerous to give them a 2nd chance.
Not .300 Blackout suppressed. They're designated the "whisper" round with the proper ammo for a reason.

Not .300 Blackout suppressed. They're designated the "whisper" round with the proper ammo for a reason.

I would say that's not accurate. .300 blackout is an excellent round, but it's not quiet by any means if you're shooting supersonic rounds suppressed or not in a house. It's easily as loud as 5.56 rounds. Shooting one suppressed with subsonic is pretty fun on the AR platform, but "whisper" is a touch of an exaggeration. My surefire Socom762 suppressor sure likes it. I think it would be a stretch to think the OP in California is going to have his first gun be a .330 blackout, shooting subsonic ammo ...suppressed, California thinks these are "scary" looking guns, I'm not sure how easy they are to get there, ha.

47610B52-DC82-4837-9243-CB9395371252.gif

Reactions: Apparition
Go with the AR-12 shotgun. 12 gauge x 10 shells on semi-auto will take care of most of your problems. Springfield .45 for back up. 5.56 pistol if I have to chase them down lol.

Go with the AR-12 shotgun. 12 gauge x 10 shells on semi-auto will take care of most of your problems. Springfield .45 for back up. 5.56 pistol if I have to chase them down lol.

Nice. I wish I had that in the helicopter getting rid of some coyotes.

I've had fun with a lot of these, but sometimes we tend to over think it. My favorite comment on shotguns came from Phil Robertson when they asked him what kind he likes ....."I like my gun to go bang, bang, bang and I call it good." Ha.

I would say that's not accurate. .300 blackout is an excellent round, but it's not quiet by any means if you're shooting supersonic rounds suppressed or not in a house. It's easily as loud as 5.56 rounds. Shooting one suppressed with subsonic is pretty fun on the AR platform, but "whisper" is a touch of an exaggeration. My surefire Socom762 suppressor sure likes it. I think it would be a stretch to think the OP in California is going to have his first gun be a .330 blackout, shooting subsonic ammo ...suppressed, California thinks these are "scary" looking guns, I'm not sure how easy they are to get there, ha.

Isn't .300 Blackout generally subsonic in anything less than a 20" barrel?

I've shot a friend's Blackout suppressed pistol build and it is quiet enough to shoot indoors without hearing protection.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure a suppressed pistol AR is like super illegal in CA.

Isn't .300 Blackout generally subsonic in anything less than a 20" barrel?

I've shot a friend's Blackout suppressed pistol build and it is quiet enough to shoot indoors without hearing protection.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure a suppressed pistol AR is like super illegal in CA.

The barrel length isn't a part of the equation really. The ammunition itself is loaded supersonic or subsonic, you can shoot it out of all different length barrels. You can shoot supersonic ammo out of a 10" barrel all day long. Most people will setup super short barrels for subsonic ammo because you're going to use it in close quarters, turn corners etc, and want room for a suppressor without it being too long, plus you're usually not shooting out past 100 yards with subsonic ammo, so you don't need a long barrel.

Either way, your buddy sounds like he has cool setup, but suppressed, in Cali that's sounds tough to get.

The barrel length isn't a part of the equation really. The ammunition itself is loaded supersonic or subsonic, you can shoot it out of all different length barrels. You can shoot supersonic ammo out of a 10" barrel all day long. Most people will setup super short barrels for subsonic ammo because you're going to use it in close quarters, turn corners etc, and want room for a suppressor without it being too long, plus you're usually not shooting out past 100 yards with subsonic ammo, so you don't need a long barrel.

Either way, your buddy sounds like he has cool setup, but suppressed, in Cali that's sounds tough to get.
I’ve never understood shooting supersonic rounds in a blackout. Significantly better options.

I like the subs though.