Help me pick out my next gun

Because of the pricing on complete AR's, I started buying 80% kit's last year. The uppers and lowers were readily available at a very good price, even now there not to hard to find. The machining process is pretty straightforward and rewarding when your done in that you've built your own AR. I've even started anodizing some of the parts to give them a custom look.

Because of the pricing on complete AR's, I started buying 80% kit's last year. The uppers and lowers were readily available at a very good price, even now there not to hard to find. The machining process is pretty straightforward and rewarding when your done in that you've built your own AR. I've even started anodizing some of the parts to give them a custom look.
Could always buy a 12 pack of finished lowers also. When it’s good to buy they are cheap.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Could always buy a 12 pack of finished lowers also. When it’s good to buy they are cheap.
I buy the lowers 6 at a time. I don't buy them finished because that means they will have a stamped serial number. The ones I buy do not have a finished trigger housing, there fore no serial number.
I do the machining of the housing myself and assemble the lower. The uppers are not complete, I buy the bolt carrier group separate because I'm picky about that particular part. The charging handle is bought separate as well because I want one that's built for ambidextrous use.

Something I have not though of until now....Can I buy a 80% lower and pay someone to finish it and still keep it without serial number? I don't have the type of tools I suspect are needed to finish the lower.

Reactions: Tomcat
Something I have not though of until now....Can I buy a 80% lower and pay someone to finish it and still keep it without serial number? I don't have the type of tools I suspect are needed to finish the lower.

You can. Most machine shops won’t because it’s a grey area and they don’t want to be “manufacturing” firearms. However if you have a buddy with the jig and a few tools, you are GTG.

I buy the lowers 6 at a time. I don't buy them finished because that means they will have a stamped serial number. The ones I buy do not have a finished trigger housing, there fore no serial number.
I do the machining of the housing myself and assemble the lower. The uppers are not complete, I buy the bolt carrier group separate because I'm picky about that particular part. The charging handle is bought separate as well because I want one that's built for ambidextrous use.

question, who’s jig are you using and does it allow the M16 cut?

The set-up to do your own machine work varies from product to product.
I paid about 1k for mine, but I bought everything top shelf. I knew I'd be in it for the long haul, so it was no big deal.

You can. Most machine shops won’t because it’s a grey area and they don’t want to be “manufacturing” firearms. However if you have a buddy with the jig and a few tools, you are GTG.
Exactly, if you machine a lower and charge for the work, you must have an FFL and assign a registered serial number.

My tools are mostly for woodworking and Jeep fixing.

You really need an end mill BUT you can make a drill press work. It’s hard on the presss cause they don’t like side loads but like tomcat said, he is a grand into his setup but it can be done cheaper.

You might join arfcom and see if someone near you is doing them and make new friends.

Most of my set-up came from 5d tactical. The jigs are specific to the lower housing.

Yeah I’ve read that 5d has been slipping in customer service lately (most likely overwhelmed in this bs right now) and they seem to be the most used.

Just haven’t seen any that allow for the cut to be done. Not that it matters but why not if you can. 😉

You really need an end mill BUT you can make a drill press work. It’s hard on the presss cause they don’t like side loads but like tomcat said, he is a grand into his setup but it can be done cheaper.

You might join arfcom and see if someone near you is doing them and make new friends.
I have a few
Yeah I’ve read that 5d has been slipping in customer service lately (most likely overwhelmed in this bs right now) and they seem to be the most used.

Just haven’t seen any that allow for the cut to be done. Not that it matters but why not if you can. 😉
I have no complaint with 5d, everything I got from them was top notch and delivered in a timely fashion. Of course that was over a year ago, before the world lost its mind.

I have a few
I have no complaint with 5d, everything I got from them was top notch and delivered in a timely fashion. Of course that was over a year ago, before the world lost its mind.

Well maybe we need to become face to face friends. 😉

My dad owns a side gig (https://www.specarmsllc.com/). He has been making high end "factory" AR's. He decided to decontent a little (using mil-spec parts and what not) and come out with a little lower price point gun. His sales have absolutely taken off. Where he was making 1-10 a month, he's now doing 35-50 a week, IF he can get the parts. He manufactures the lowers, uppers, hand guards and muzzle breaks from billet. Uses mag-pul furniture.

Here is an example...This was my 40th birthday present (serial number 40, too!) Its a 450 bushmaster for whitetail...

1597872425343.png

And a couple more. The AR in the foreground is a 223 wylde, pretty typical Midgrade build for them (about a 1600 dollar gun - optics). The pistol in the background is a 9mm. Little more specialized, in the ceracote job and components. That one is custom, and I don't know what it would cost to duplicate.

1597872540999.png