Help me pick out my next gun

I loved my AR until I had to make it CA compliant with recent law changes.

We can't have pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hiders, suppressors, folding stocks, barrel length of less than 16 inches and over all length of less than 26 inches. Even with all this, I'm not sure if I can have a mag release either. I'm sure I'm missing other things as well.

All those changes makes the gun akward to use and takes away the ease of use.
I agree with you one hundred percent. I have a fred eichler edition ar-15 chambered in .223/.556 and I just got so screw with the new cali laws, I had to change the pistol grip to the gay shark fin, and remove my adjustable stop. Im tempted to put in a fixed magazine so I can go back to the pistol grip because that pissed me off the most. I dont suppose they are gonna make us start shooting with our feet now so will potentially "lower the casualty rate"

Reactions: TJ Starting
I agree with you one hundred percent. I have a fred eichler edition ar-15 chambered in .223/.556 and I just got so screw with the new cali laws, I had to change the pistol grip to the gay shark fin, and remove my adjustable stop. Im tempted to put in a fixed magazine so I can go back to the pistol grip because that pissed me off the most. I dont suppose they are gonna make us start shooting with our feet now so will potentially "lower the casualty rate"
Dumb Cali laws!

Reactions: D M
It has nothing do with protection. The laws are stripping of rights, pure and simple.

I’d move to a different platform if I lived behind enemy lines.

And those who think 5 rounds are enough....think about the three that force entry into your home. We all want to put ourselves into a place of a bad guy, one....and that’s it.

prepare for the worst, expect the best. Something to ponder.

I have always considered anything with a 8mm 200 grain Nosler, loaded with 73 grains of RL19, pushing at 3153 FPS a magnum. I don’t feel under gunned with it.

it’s not the end all caliber and has been dead for a few years like most off ball wildcats, but I’ll take 300 wm speed pushing 8mm bullets in a nice short action any day. 👍
You living in Oregon, what game do you hunt with the rifle mentioned?

It should be mentioned that in CA if an intruder enters your home screaming "I'm only here to steal all your belongings and mean you no harm!!!' Legally you can not shoot them (my understanding of the law). You or someone in your house needs to be in immediate danger in order to pull the trigger.

Furthermore, the force needs to be "no more force than necessary" to make them stop.

https://www.shouselaw.com/self-defense.html

It'll be hard for the intruder to claim such a defense when he's full of lead.

A pistol length .300 BLK With sub sonic Hollow Points. Hmmmm

Edit: I just need a barrel.
https://solo300.com/products/solo-300-barrel
1593009116675.png

1593009016950.png

Ok so I am no gun expert, actually I only own one hand gun. A Springfield 9 mm that my wife wanted me to get when I go camping off road she was afraid of the zombies back in the woods. Actually now I think I am safer with random Off Roader's than the general public. So for home protection we are considering a Shot Gun, so the question is Pump or Semi-Auto and how long, Brands, etc. I am also considering buying one for my home and another for my cabin. I don't really want to be transporting a gun every time.

So I am hoping to get some suggestions from those that know guns,

Thanks, oh yea I am in CA 🤫
Just a suggestion
Ben4.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
I’ve never sold a gun
I have sold very few but was glad to sell my Glock 19 early in the pandemic to a gentleman who insisted on overpaying for it. He had a concealed weapons permit so I think he was legit. I always thought the G19 was too big to carry concealed and if its not concealed something a little bigger is appropriate.

Reactions: Apparition
I wont push back too hard on the 5.56 not over penetrating,... but i was trained that drywall is concealment only.. not cover.

And if you need special mods and ammo to make sure it doesnt overpenetrate... then that complicates it.

For $500 bucks... he can have a reliable, easy point and blast home defense weapon.

Edit: 5.56 leaves the barrel at twice the velocity as a shell. I definetly would be concerned about overpenetration.

That would lead to hesitation.. which is not good in that situation.
There are several tests that show the 5.56 round starts to tumble with the first contact with drywall or a 2x4. Once it starts tumbling it stops penetrating. Ive seen demonstrations that show a 9mm FMJ penetrating many more walls than a 5.56.

Reactions: Apparition
There are several tests that show the 5.56 round starts to tumble with the first contact with drywall or a 2x4. Once it starts tumbling it stops penetrating. Ive seen demonstrations that show a 9mm FMJ penetrating many more walls than a 5.56.

Bullets do weird things on first impact.. but i wouodnt trust it to not over penetrate. It likely will still penetrates if there is enough force/velocity.
Most home defense situations are too small of an area for that velocity to reduce

Im only talking drywall.... if it hit a wood stud.. i can see the round not overpenetrating.

But how many times have you seen a round penetrate through a 2x4 target stand at 25 or 50 yards?

Any gun is better than no gun... but for defending the interior of my house... i would think twice about a rifled round with the initial velocity of an average 5.56 round

Btw.. i agree with you about the 9mm as well. If i shot my 9mm at my wall... i would expect to find it in the other bedroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomcat
It still penetrates if there is enough force/velocity.
Most home defense situations are too small of an area for that velocity to reduce.

Im only talking drywall.... if it hit a wood stud.. i can see the round not overpenetrating.

But how many times have you seen a round penetrate through a 2x4 target stand at 25 or 50 yards?

Any gun is better than no gun... but for defending the interior of my house... i would think twice about a rifled round with an initial velocity of a 5.56.
I don't think at all the 5.56 is a good round for INSIDE the house. I'm not as worried about over penetration because I have seen demonstrations but for inside you want a smaller firearm for maneuverability. If you use a 5.56 in a SBR or "pistol" configuration with a 10 inch or so barrel the concussion, flash and noise will likely temporarily disable the shooter. I prefer outdoor ranges but have been in the stall next to guys firing SBR ARs when I have hearing protection on and don't like it. I feel very conformable with a 9mm AR pistol and JHP ammunition.

All this talk about 5.56, how bout we step it up to a mans round? 7.62 Should handle intruders quite nicely.

Instead of scaring the intruder with the racking of a shotgun, I'll scare em with the loose, sloppy rattling of a well worn AK.

lol