Help! Oil pan / transmission leaking?

Lirik Brucaj

Hi I looked under my jeep today and it looked as if the oil pan and the transmission was sweating? Can anyone help me with this I have a 98 tj 4.0 3 speed auto, I know these pictures aren't that good but it's because they're screenshots of a video I took of it please help me fast

IMG_1883.PNG

IMG_1884.PNG

IMG_1885.PNG

IMG_1886.PNG

Not being rude but it looks like one of those UFO sighting videos. That fluid could a myriad a things and a solid couple of photos would help us not waste your time and get your Jeep up and running.

Also, did you see this while the Jeep was sitting, after driving the Jeep, what does the fluid smell like, & are you throwing a CEL?

Reactions: Chris
Hi I looked under my jeep today and it looked as if the oil pan and the transmission was sweating? Can anyone help me with this I have a 98 tj 4.0 3 speed auto, I know these pictures aren't that good but it's because they're screenshots of a video I took of it please help me fast

Pretty typical of the 4.0 engines in our Wranglers. These things are notorious for leaking rear main seals. In fact, it's so common that most of us just get used to it. Unless you have puddles of oil underneath the vehicle, it's nothing to worry about, just fix it when you get time and money.

However, if it's leaking huge puddles, then you'll want to fix it ASAP. If you feel like taking on the rear main seal yourself, there's a how-to guide here: Rear Main Seal Replacement (4.0)

However, if you pay a mechanic to do it, it's probably a 3-4 hour job and would likely cost anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on the mechanic.

I have no check engine light, it was strange. This is my first jeep, and I was at school and it was right after I parked and shut my car off that I saw like almost a droplet forming on the transmission, but after my class I came back and it looked perfectly dry and fine. I will take better pictures. It doesn't really smell like anything

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

It looks like rear main by the way oil is up high behind the block. Pull trans and replace rear main seal and oil pan gasket since you are there. Both are straightforward, best to rent or buy a trans jack to make your life easier.

Reactions: StG58
Mine " rear main " has leaked a drop here and there for almost a year.
It will likely leak here and there for the up coming year.
If it something you can't live with then follow the guide provided by Chris.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
The same thing happened to my TJ. My oil pan seal was leaky(sweating, as you mentioned). Strangely enough, once I did an oil change with a high mileage synthetic oil, the leak stopped. 4.0's are weird that way.

Reactions: Bird
Don't count out the rear of the valve cover leaking too. Oil can travel down and look like a rear main leak. Or, it could be both, lol!

Reactions: Bird
My 95 XJ always had some oil leaking from the rear main oil seal. No puddles or large amounts, just a couple of drops. I ran like that for tens of thousands of miles, never replaced the rear main and ended up selling it when I bought my TJ. Most of our Jeeps leak a little fluid from several sources. The questions to ask yourself are where is it coming from, is it enough to cause any damage, can you stay on top of it and is it worth spending the time and money getting it repaired? Most older TJ's have over 100k on them and small leaks are common.

Don't count out the rear of the valve cover leaking too. Oil can travel down and look like a rear main leak. Or, it could be both, lol!

Great point. I had this problem and had a hard time identifying the cause of the leak. Replaced stock gasket with a FELPRO and solved that leak issue.

Reactions: bobthetj03