Help! What Axles?

bwispy

IMG_1665[1].JPG
IMG_1663[1].JPG
View attachment 16308 New Wrangler TJ owner here. I need help determining what axle type I have.

It is a 2005 Wrangler X
I did do some research and found that they are most likely Dana 30's but I just want to make sure.
Also, what are your suggestions on getting heavier duty axles for off-roading? I've read that the 30's aren't always the best.
Here are some pics of underneath.

Also if anyone knows of a good mechanic in the Dallas area I would like to get it looked at by someone who 1. knows jeeps 2. isn't going to take advantage $$ wise.

Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
The 30 is good from most off roading. The 35 is were you have issues with larger tires but can be overcame with a Super35 kit.

Your Dana 30 upfront will be fine, and the Dana 35 can be made to handle quite a bit with a Super35 kit.

Throw some chromoly axle shafts in, nice lockers, and you'll have some axles that should be able to handle 33" up to 35" tires pretty decently.

The catch here is that built axles are still not an excuse to drive like a moron. The guys who have problems with giving it too much throttle (especially when the tires are spinning) are the guys who will be able to destroy almost any axle, regardless of how built it is.

So a lot of it boils down to driving technique.

Reactions: JP98
As above, for sure your front axle is definitely a Dana 30. I'm not so sure the 'X' model couldn't in some areas be ordered with the upgraded Dana 44 in the rear. A pic of your rear axle to confirm would be good.

Or just look at these two photos to confirm what your rear axle is....

Dana 35. Notice its black plastic lubricant fill hole plug.

Dana 35c cover.jpg

The stronger Dana 44. Notice its steel threaded lubricant fill hole plug.

Dana 44 good pic.jpg

Reactions: bwispy
As above, for sure your front axle is definitely a Dana 30. I'm not so sure the 'X' model couldn't in some areas be ordered with the upgraded Dana 44 in the rear. A pic of your rear axle to confirm would be good.

View attachment 16309

View attachment 16310

I put some pics up above. Are they not showing up? New to the forum thing too.

View attachment 16309

View attachment 16310

I expanded my pics above in original post! :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The X was the base model where the 4.0 came standard and did not have the option to order the 44. You had to step up to the Sport package before the 44 was offered as an upgrade.

Do you have any bumpsteer with that drop pitman arm?
He does whether or not he knows it. Bump steer being where the steering is forced (bumped) left/right as the front axle moves up/down over bumps/dips in the road.

That dropped Pitman currently installed should be replaced with the OE factory Pitman arm. :)

Reactions: Rob5589 and JP98