Help wiring halos on LED headlights

ngreene9

Hey everyone!

I have been trying to install some halo headlights on my 1999 Wrangler, but I don't know much about the wiring. The headlights were plug and play, but the halos have a positive and negative end which needs to be connected. My initial thought was to connect the positive to the battery, yet this resulted in the halos always being on--even when the car was off.

Where should I connect the wires to get this done?

Thanks!

Connect that wire to the running light wire on the side markers (the ones on the fender flares).

Those lights have three wires. A positive, a negative, and a running light wire. You can very easily figure out which one is the running like wire by using a test light.

All you need to do is tap the halo wire into that wire and they'll come on as soon as you turn the running lights (or headlights) on. I did this on my TJ, it's on oof the easiest things you can do.

I am of course assuming you know how to use a test light (which is beyond easy to use (y) )

Connect that wire to the running light wire on the side markers (the ones on the fender flares).

Those lights have three wires. A positive, a negative, and a running light wire. You can very easily figure out which one is the running like wire by using a test light.

All you need to do is tap the halo wire into that wire and they'll come on as soon as you turn the running lights (or headlights) on. I did this on my TJ, it's on oof the easiest things you can do.

I am of course assuming you know how to use a test light (which is beyond easy to use (y) )

Thanks, Chris.

Is there any way to wire it so the halos are on, even if the headlights are not?

you can tap into the radio fuse. it comes on when the key is turn to ACC or run. I did this and ran a switch so I can turn off my blue lights when I drive in Florida.

There is a fuse-block module behind the glovebox, there should be a micro fuse slot (slot 18 or 19 there will be a diagram printed in the compartment) it is an empty slot that receives power with the ignition. If you use a micro fuse tap you can run a wire through the dash over to the drivers side, there should be a rubber access point in the firewall, run the positive wire through and connect it to your halos. Your halos will only have power when the key is turned and the headlights will work independently, I think that is what you're looking for.

Reactions: Chris
Ok mine has led turns in the grill like a cj....l put halos in and hooked up the halo to the marker light wire and lost break lights.....cut it and got them back.....any suggestions l want halos on with running lights

I am not sure how you would be loosing brake lights as I do not have LED marker lights.

I can tell you how I wired up my set up though. I wired mine up to a hot wire when I turn the ignition on. I put an in dash switch so I could turn the halos on or off when I needed to. Mine are blue and in Florida you cannot have blue lights. but when my key comes on the lights come on. Just an idea. Sounds like you want them on the light switch itself.

There is a fuse-block module behind the glovebox, there should be a micro fuse slot (slot 18 or 19 there will be a diagram printed in the compartment) it is an empty slot that receives power with the ignition. If you use a micro fuse tap you can run a wire through the dash over to the drivers side, there should be a rubber access point in the firewall, run the positive wire through and connect it to your halos. Your halos will only have power when the key is turned and the headlights will work independently, I think that is what you're looking for.
Second this. It’s exactly what I did.

The best way to wire halos is also the easiest. Connect their hot leads to the screw in the tub next to the headlights. The same screw the headlight's black lead is connected to. That'll allow the halos to be displayed exactly as they should be. 😊

Great idea. I just spent 2 hours trying to find an ignition powered wire under the hood. No luck. This is better. No cut / splice in the wire harness is always better.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just wired my halo lights by tapping a fuse under the dash and splicing my turn signals. But now when I flip on the turn signal the halo does not cut off to show just the amber turn signal, the white halo stays lit the whole time. Any ideas? 99 tj 4.0 l6

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just wired my halo lights by tapping a fuse under the dash and splicing my turn signals. But now when I flip on the turn signal the halo does not cut off to show just the amber turn signal, the white halo stays lit the whole time. Any ideas? 99 tj 4.0 l6
You need to splice into the turn signal for that. Get a tool to check which line is hot when you use the blinker and tap straight into that one. And it works.

Awesome! So I will need to tap the turn signal twice basically? Where I already have and then just find a hot wire? Or leave it how I have it?
You need to splice into the turn signal for that. Get a tool to check which line is hot when you use the blinker and tap straight into that one. And it works.

Awesome! So I will need to tap the turn signal twice basically? Where I already have and then just find a hot wire? Or leave it how I have it?
Or would I need to take the white halo lights and wire to the hot wire?

So you folks that are tapping into the side markers, what are you using to do this? positap?

I have to take a look at the black wire method on the headlight tub that Jerry posted up...

The lights in my Jeep have a red and yellow wire. one for the white halo, one for the amber blinker function. the PO had one of the halo wires running across the radiator to the other side..SMH..and the yellow wires just hanging around...

Going to hook up for full function, then see if I even like these cheapo HLs...IF not, going to change to Hellas...

The main lights do have some flicker...

Trying to figure all this out has me like...

200.gif

I tried to do this with mine but it wouldn’t work on any of the fuses that I tried to use. I couldn’t find another way to connect them to power besides the battery which obviously leads them to being on all the time which is not what I want. Kind of desperate at this point and need any sort of help that I can get.