Help with Gears and Lockers

Regular Dana 35, but I’m on 31 tires and have no real need or desire to change that.

Regular Dana 35 should handle a TrueTrac or similar LSD on 33s. The common wisdom is that it will not support a full locker with much use on any tire size. Also I don’t believe the TrueTrac is available in a 30 spline shaft for the Super35. I don’t if the Spartan LSD has options for the D/S 35.

Generally for 33s the options are:

Dana 35=open or LSD
S35=full locker
Dana 44=All 3 options available

Build to suit your budget, preference, and needs…
A full locker in the rear was never an option. The Truetrac was really all I considered for many reasons. Saying the Dana 35 can handle an LSD puts the wind back in my sails a little bit. When I was hunting the super 35 options I found 4 lockers in 30 spline. Eaton clutch type, Powertraxx clutch type, Yukon grizzly (clutch type), ARB, OX.

Reactions: pc1p
running a selectable locker in the rear and disengaging it is the solution to that issue

no axle that came on a TJ is built to handle 37s
Not if you are running spartan locker in the front as the O.P. suggested. Still won't turn well, I promise.

This is highly dependent on the intended use, tranny and driver. Tim Cameron can brake a 14 bolt front with 40 spline RCV big bell shafts on 40's. I personally can't. My King pin 60 front worked great for my intended use.

How much ice/snow driving do you plan on? This may limit your choices.

I have the torq locker in my dana 30 and it's worked out so far.

Make sure to look at the used prices on amazon, that's how I bought a "used" practically new bestop rear seat for $80.

Reactions: Bargain Box
How much ice/snow driving do you plan on? This may limit your choices.

I have the torq locker in my dana 30 and it's worked out so far.

Make sure to look at the used prices on amazon, that's how I bought a "used" practically new bestop rear seat for $80.
I live in central NC which means little to no snow and ice. I'm pretty much sold on the lunchbox up front based on what I'm hearing.

I had the same predicament you had, I ended up getting a Dana 44 off craigslist for $700 and an ARB air locker off craigslist for $300,
then I saved for a while and had it re-geared to 4.56
I did nothing up front, I'd rather save for a while and get a selectable locker than get a auto locker now

Not if you are running spartan locker in the front as the O.P. suggested. Still won't turn well, I promise.
Is the Spartan more of a locker than a factory Rubicon locker or a Detroit locker?
This is highly dependent on the intended use, tranny and driver.
That does nothing to rebut the fact that the TJ axles weren't built to handle 37s. You could roll down the street on 40s with a Dana 30/Dana 35.

Thanks to all who responded. I think for now, I'm going to buy the lunchbox for the front and hunt a used 44. If it comes with 4.11 then I'll get a 4.11 for the front which will save me money and the lunchbox can be reused.

I wouldn’t get a tru trac, and for $1200 I’d rather find a Dana44 on marketplace than spend money on a Dana 35…
There is nothing wrong with running a TrueTrac in the rear unless you are trying to turn your TJ into a billy goat going up the side of a mountain. For applications outside of rock crawling, it adds a ton of capability at a fairly low cost. I have slogged through stuff without even having to engage 4wd that would have stuck open diffs.

Is the TT as capable as as full locker? No it isn’t. But it works flawlessly on the road, in most light to moderate wheeling conditions, and even in tight turns without any user interaction. Is it capable enough for the OPs intended use? Most likely and definitely worth a try vs throwing a ton of money at upgrades he may never need.

There is nothing wrong with running a TrueTrac in the rear unless you are trying to turn your TJ into a billy goat going up the side of a mountain. For applications outside of rock crawling, it adds a ton of capability at a fairly low cost. I have slogged through stuff without even having to engage 4wd that would have stuck open diffs.

Is the TT as capable as as full locker? No it isn’t. But it works flawlessly on the road, in most light to moderate wheeling conditions, and even in tight turns without any user interaction. Is it capable enough for the OPs intended use? Most likely and definitely worth a try vs throwing a ton of money at upgrades he may never need.

The performance of a tru trac doesn’t justify the cost, in my opinion.

Well then we will agree to disagree. It gave me a lot of bang for the buck for @$400 and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Thanks to all who responded. I think for now, I'm going to buy the lunchbox for the front and hunt a used 44. If it comes with 4.11 then I'll get a 4.11 for the front which will save me money and the lunchbox can be reused.
I think that’s a wise choice. Get a front PowerTrax No Slip and the front Chromoly shafts. Drive it and see how it does. I think you’ll be more than fine. If you’re not, you can always come back and do an S35 or a Dana 44 swap, but I think the front locker is going to take you a lot of places.

The performance of a tru trac doesn’t justify the cost, in my opinion.
Depends on the intended use really. The TruTrac provides extremely road-friendly operation with considerable advantages on-road as well as providing many benefits in the majority of off-road terrains (sans rock crawling, which the OP stated doesn't apply). It also does so without the quirks and negative attributes of an auto-locker. In all my rigs that don't/didn't see rocks on a regular basis, the TruTrac has been my go-to for decades now and have never had one give me trouble. I would even say that the TruTrac is my preferred traction aid where wheel speed is more important than placement (mud, sand, etc).

I think you're gonna want more gearing than 4.10's and even your originally proposed 4.56's with 33"s, especially if beach visits are frequent.

Reactions: Bargain Box
What is this “no rock crawling” thing you guys keep tossing around?

🙂
My buddy in TX is ~15 hours of driving away from the nearest worthwhile rock crawling - I think he said he'd rather drag his balls across hot TX asphalt and then dive into the Gulf before making a 15 hour drive in a Jeep :ROFLMAO:

My buddy in TX is ~15 hours of driving away from the nearest worthwhile rock crawling - I think he said he'd rather drag his balls across hot TX asphalt and then dive into the Gulf before making a 15 hour drive in a Jeep :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, thinking about it, if I had to actually drive my beast to rock crawl, I’d never rock crawl…