HELP with Setting Crank Shaft Pulley to ZERO

JEEP GC

New engine and transmission back in. I thought that I set the distributor correctly before putting it back in but it wont start. I'm assuming the timing is off. Took off the distributor to check and attempted to turn the crank shaft pully back to zero but it wont budge. I don't want to tighten the bolt too tight in an attempt to turn the pully clockwise in fear of breaking the bolt off. Any suggestions how to ZERO in the pulley. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
use a pry bar on flywhee
New engine and transmission back in. I thought that I set the distributor correctly before putting it back in but it wont start. I'm assuming the timing is off. Took off the distributor to check and attempted to turn the crank shaft pully back to zero but it wont budge. I don't want to tighten the bolt too tight in an attempt to turn the pully clockwise in fear of breaking the bolt off. Any suggestions how to ZERO in the pulley. Thanks guys!
When you crank it its rotating? If so, I don't see how you can break the bolt off by turning it with a pry-bar on the crank bolt unless the engine has something preventing it from turning.

Shouldn't be that hard to turn it CW with a ratchet if the starter is turning it over when you try to start it.

So, I'll ask, do you have it in neutral?