Help with wiring schematic for auxiliary reverse lights

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a set of LED brake lights added by the PO. They work fine except for the reverse lights which are too dim. Adding a pair of LED aux reverse lights would solve this, and I can use help with wiring.

I installed a pair if aux reverse lights on my last JK that used a DPDT dash mounted switch and relay and were on-position-one was normal operation engaged with selecting reverse. Off-position had the aux lights off all the time. On-position-two turned on the aux lights independent of engaging reverse (connected to switched power so the jeep needs to be running to power them). Worked great.

For the TJ I want to use the factory switch panel and OE style switches and can't find a DPDT... only an SPST on/off. So I want to wire them so they are switched on whenever reverse is engaged but I can over-ride and put them on with or without engaging reverse.

Can anyone help with a pic of the wiring? I absolutely suck at this kind of stuff...

I will be doing this soon, so I look forward to learning what others have to share.

Thanks.

I looked at every page of the all the stickies. Couldn’t find it. Greatly appreciate the help. However….

The setup in that link uses a SPDT switch. I want to use OE style switches and they are only available as a SPST (a far as I can tell). So sad to say this configuration won’t accomplish what I am hoping for.

Can you show us the switches you plan on using? I'm using this style (or this), with a separate relay. I think you can have any kind of relay you want to with these switches, right?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The setup in that link uses a SPDT switch. I want to use OE style switches and they are only available as a SPST (a far as I can tell). So sad to say this configuration won’t accomplish what I am hoping for.
I don't think you'll find a factory DT switch. Maybe an aftermarket copy, but most of those don't light up with your dash lights like the originals.
Another option is to mount the switch you want into a factory blank. (On the left)

guage.jpg

Thanks.

If you're ok with just those 2 options (reverse and override); you only need one ST switch.
What's nice, is to have the option of having the aux. lights not come on every time you're in reverse.
For that, you would need a 3 position switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p
A quick note about the above wiring link.
You can't use an LED lighted switch because the polarity will be wrong for the internal LED to light.

You need to use two switches on the dash to do what you describe. One is not enough since they only have a single on position. You'll have one switch to enable them with the reverse lights and one switch to enable them whenever you want.

If you're ok with just those 2 options (reverse and override); you only need one ST switch.
What's nice, is to have the option of having the aux. lights not come on every time you're in reverse.
For that, you would need a 3 position switch.
I wired mine to come on in reverse or with the switch. I wish I only had it on a switch. It's not always good to have it on in reverse. They blind other people and it's a little rude.

Reactions: LONGJP2
You don't need a diode and you don't need two switches.

use a 5 pin relay:

86 - hooked to reverse trigger
85 - ground
30 - goes to lights
87 - ignition power (can also be constant, won't make a difference since it will only be used in reverse and the Jeep has to be key-on for reverse to work)
87A - power goes to your switch, then out the switch to 87A. Decide whether you want that constant or ignition power.

This way the switch will turn on the lights immediately, but if the switch is not on, putting the jeep in reverse will trigger the relay to kick them on instead.

The only downside is they will come on in reverse all the time with no way to disable them, but I'm fine with that. Don't spend enough time in reverse to be concerned.

I wired mine to come on in reverse or with the switch. I wish I only had it on a switch. It's not always good to have it on in reverse. They blind other people and it's a little rude.
Agreed about not wanting them on (in reverse) all the time.
I searched for the perfect switch (ON, ON, OFF) a while back.
Currently running just 1 ST switch for the aux.lights, no reverse.
IMO, the only time you would really need them (in reverse, and instantly) is on the trail. So not very often.
When I need them, I turn them on.
And there's an OEM option for that.

switch.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need a diode and you don't need two switches.
You don't need anything but like you say here
The only downside is they will come on in reverse all the time with no way to disable them
If you want it to work you need two switches.

A diode is needed here but not here in my opinion.

diode.jpg

Voltage from the reverse light circuit will never cause problems on the switch circuit but the other one is a great idea to keep the switch from interfering with the normal operation of the reverse lights.

Edit: it can't hurt and great diagram @machoheadgames

You don't need anything but like you say here

If you want it to work you need two switches.

A diode is needed here but not here in my opinion.

View attachment 287933

Voltage from the reverse light circuit will never cause problems on the switch circuit but the other one is a great idea to keep the switch from interfering with the normal operation of the reverse lights.
My way is a way to do the functions he wants with one switch. If he wants to add a second switch that is of course an option but wasn’t part of his criteria. His criteria was simply the lights come on in reverse, and he can manually turn them on at anytime, using the type of switch he found which is not a SPDT like he had before in his other Jeep.

If he also requires a way to shut them back off in reverse then yes he will need to add a second switch. Again, no mention of that in the post from what I saw.

Looks like you need to grab your glasses again. You should make a habit of wearing them. Nowhere in his post does he say turn them off. He said he used to be able to do that on his other Jeep with the 3-position On/off/on SPDT/DPDT switch. He did not say that is his requirement with this Jeep.

“For the TJ I want to use the factory switch panel and OE style switches and can't find a DPDT... only an SPST on/off. So I want to wire them so they are switched on whenever reverse is engaged but I can over-ride and put them on with or without engaging reverse.”

Please enlighten me, where did he say manually turning the lights back off in reverse is crucial in this install? This didn’t come up until other guys in the later posts talked about how they like to have the ability to shut them off.

Thanks all.

My first priority is to be able turn the lights on independent of engaging reverse. Primarily for when working on another rig or setting up camp.

Second priority is to be able to have them come in auto mode, when reverse is engaged.

Next is to use a single factory style switch. Readily available on Amazon (though I didn’t realize they don’t light up like factory switches. This could prove to be a show stopper). I am going to DIY a second factory switch bank in place of the ash tray. With only six switche blanks available I don’t want two just for reverse lights.

I did have a three way switch in my prior rig that applied Auto/Off/On with a SPDT switch but I can’t find them in OE style aftermarket switches so I have to compromise.

I have virtually zero like coming out of the LED tails and last week almost backed into a car that I didn’t see. With a dedicated switch I’d have to turn them on all the time…PITA. I could try different tails but i am otherwise happy with what I have.

what does the diode do?

Last edited:
Can you show us the switches you plan on using? I'm using this style (or this), with a separate relay. I think you can have any kind of relay you want to with these switches, right?
Those are the switches I want to use. Are these illuminated like the OE switches?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.