Here's hoping the Bronco puts pressure on Jeep

All tech is outdated. The minute you buy it it's on it's way to probably two or three years from no longer being supported. As long as it still functions, doesn't break, and doesn't force you to needlessly upgrade the entire car when it no longer functions because you can't update it, it's not terrible to ignore.

I'd rather tech companies all standardize on the same chord plug in for data and charging, and car makers default to a spot you can attach your latest tech on the car easily if you buy it separately. But that's a stretch as Apple can't even make the same chord for their phones for more than 2 iterations.

I use tech all the time. But I spend way too much time replacing and updating it. Enough that I know it's dumb to build a car around it and expect anything resembling added reliability. Gadgets sell cars though and car manufacturers get the markup on all the stuff they add. So it's a win-win for car makers.

I on the other hand, have tossed out many computers and monitors in the trash and go through piles of tech at work. I'm no Luddite by any means, but I know enough that tech can be an enormous waste of time when it goes south and expensive or difficult to keep running if you normally drive a vehicle more than the time period of a standard lease.

All tech is outdated. The minute you buy it it's on it's way to probably two or three years from no longer being supported. As long as it still functions, doesn't break, and doesn't force you to needlessly upgrade the entire car when it no longer functions because you can't update it, it's not terrible to ignore.

I'd rather tech companies all standardize on the same chord plug in for data and charging, and car makers default to a spot you can attach your latest tech on the car easily if you buy it separately. But that's a stretch as Apple can't even make the same chord for their phones for more than 2 iterations.

I use tech all the time. But I spend way too much time replacing and updating it. Enough that I know it's dumb to build a car around it and expect anything resembling added reliability. Gadgets sell cars though and car manufacturers get the markup on all the stuff they add. So it's a win-win for car makers.

I on the other hand, have tossed out many computers and monitors in the trash and go through piles of tech at work. I'm no Luddite by any means, but I know enough that tech can be an enormous waste of time when it goes south and expensive or difficult to keep running if you normally drive a vehicle more than the time period of a standard lease.
My IPhone 11 Pro Max uses the same cable as the iPhone 7 it replaced?

Apple in particular is notorious for dipshit proprietary connectors and adapters for same that break with distressing regularity. Back when I was in IT, I was always ordering new proprietary cables for the Apple users who kept having them break.

Reactions: HardSell
I've been sorting out a pile of tech at home to go to the recycle bin. Formatting and resetting. Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, tablets, and PCs. I've been untangling chords and finding chargers. So I'm may have added that frustration to the mix. But I've counted around 10 different chords for various devices with different ends and the same USB interface. You'd think they could all use the same one. I know my Samsung phone has a different connector from last version to this version, so I use adapters rather than rebuying all the car charger and house chords.

There are 4 of us and I'm tech support. My kids have phones, tablets, and PCs. My wife has 2 phones (work and private), a tablet, a kindle, and 2 PCs (work and private). I have a work phone, work computer, and 2 home PC hand me downs. That's before we get to the rest of the house devices, car devices, etc.

I bought my Jeep specifically because it's option is cruise control. I'm teched out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Zorba

I agree entirely. Vehicles these days though are built with planned obsolescence in mind unfortunately.

This is why I wish auto manufacturers would give people the ability to buy a version without all the tech stuff that will be obsolete in several years. Maybe this is an option on the Bronco, I’m not sure.

Reactions: Zorba
I've been sorting out a pile of tech at home to go to the recycle bin. Formatting and resetting. Ipods, Ipads, Iphones, tablets, and PCs. I've been untangling chords and finding chargers. So I'm may have added that frustration to the mix. But I've counted around 10 different chords for various devices with different ends and the same USB interface. You'd think they could all use the same one. I know my Samsung phone has a different connector from last version to this version, so I use adapters rather than rebuying all the car charger and house chords.
My cable for charging my warn winch remote also charges my HF LED light and my Garmin Inreach. Pretty convenient on Jeep trips.

Reactions: The shuggs
I on the other hand, have tossed out many computers
I'm using a 17" G4 Mac laptop I bought off Ebay seven years ago for 80 bucks. Originally $3200 in 2004. Tenfourfox browser keeps me current. God, I love first adopters. Absolutely no tech in my TJR.

Reactions: Zorba