Hi-lift mounting options

whitrzac

TJ Enthusiast
I know everyone's distaste for hi-lift jacks, but I was in a sticky situation this past weekend and had a genuine use for one. Ended up having to winch up a tree to change a tire. IDK how we would have changed a rear. I had the factory jack, but the ground was too soft and it would sink in.

Hood mount is out, I don't think I could get it on/off without denting the hood, and I have a feeling it would make a ton of noise on the highway.
Standing up side mount is out, my mirrors attach right where the jack would be.

The only other 2 I saw were vertical on the tailgate like
https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tjlj-off-road-jack-mount
And across the rear roll bars. IDK if this will clear my trektop though. Space in that area is slim to none.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_9002.htm
Any other options I missed?

Option c: just carry a trusty 2x6 from now on... Not nearly as cool, but probably just as functional.

don't have a good pic..but mine hangs on the tailgate with the help of the Ace Gatekeeper
ZPy5CfC.jpg

My square of plywood was free and makes a bottle jack work on soft ground. All of it weighs less and takes up less space than a HiLift.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not a big fan of Hi Lift jacks. Reason? Too many safety issues; accidents waiting to happen. 2 pieces of 12" X 12" piece of 3/4" CDX plywood screwed together for thickness and strength along with a bottle jack.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’d roll the Jeep to firm ground before I used a hi lift in mud, they are unsafe enough.

They really are more of a “prop” than a jack , and really only are carried around to add to the “man of action” ambiance many Jeep owners feel the need to portray.

They have some actual merit , like for a side pull, to be fair. JP magazine had a good article on creative uses a few issues back...jacking a vehicle wasn’t one of them.

I’d roll the Jeep to firm ground before I used a hi lift in mud, they are unsafe enough.

They really are more of a “prop” than a jack , and really only are carried around to add to the “man of action” ambiance many Jeep owners feel the need to portray.

They have some actual merit , like for a side pull, to be fair. JP magazine had a good article on creative uses a few issues back...jacking a vehicle wasn’t one of them.
Well said. My feeling is that few hi-lifts being displayed on Jeeps have ever been used where it was the best tool for the job.

Reactions: AndyG
I used my hi-lift to pull up metal fence posts today..would have been hard to do if I only had a bottle jack in the Jeep

That is why I'll never sell my farmer jack. Pulling fence posts is what it does best. Of course I'm glad I can predict when I'll need that farmer jack. Gladder still to have a bottle jack and all my teeth when I get a flat.