High beam / low beam problem

No. If you can handle a phillips head screwdriver, you can replace that switch in under 5 minutes. Remove the plastic protective clamshells that surround the steering column by removing the two screws in the bottom cover. The switch is only held on by a couple more phillips head screws. It just plugs in.
Hey great. I will start there and see what happens. Thanks again

New to forums so don't know how "threads" and info exchanges works here but I wanted to let others know why my headlights on my 2000 TJ wouldn't switch to Low Beam. I traced the problem to headlamp socket terminals. Picked up some replacements at O'Reilly's and problem solved.

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

Reactions: Zorba
well replaced with new the multi function switch... as this thread and plethora of others lead me to believe was likely the culprit. TADAAAAAAA..... MURPHY once again proves he is always in charge. End result...... didnt change my symptoms. (02 TJ)

>No low beams
>One high beam (driver side)
>everything else works. (turns, flashers, brake . I don't have fog though the MultF switch is capable of adding
>fuses- without looking again.... since have one high beam.... that; if I understand right would mean, all fuses are good.

since there is no headlight relay.... what do I look at next?

My bulb connectors look good. what is the pin out on them so I can trace with a multi meter or test light?

a ground was mentioned as a potential fault? where is this ground(s)? course then again.... if I have one highbeam headlamp working..... ground should be good right?

Last edited:
PS- this is a newish rig to me; with an engine swap.. so things have been changed.... and Im still figuring out what the changes were.

Found ground on each side for lights. both look good. Headlight harness Wires and plugs not so good...
Went to get new ones to wire in place but I dont like any I found. To small of wires IMHO and none had water resistant covers.

Dont know if my headlights are HID or LED... their is no removable bulb and I can't see inside. There is heat sink-ish in back... and parts of lens have magnification. Any suggestions on how to tell?

Am totally confused about the underhood fuse box. The relay side does not match up with any of the diagrams I find online for any year TJ. each one is slightly off. Will add pics in a moment

Underhood fuse/relay box not matching up with diagrams I am finding online. None of them match the right side exactly... as in. there is three rows.... some diagrams have 4 rows..... some have three... but not laid out in online diagrams like one in this jeep in relation to what row has slightly offset sets of relays along with where large relays sit.

The one wire replacing a relay at far end of box..... .... Im guessing is part of the modified start system... maybe goes to glow plug relay that is externally mounted... but that is for another time to explore.

this fuse/relay box look familiar? if so what year? Jeep started as a 2002 far as I know.

IMG_20220723_161215_792.jpg

Last edited:
grrrrrrrr...... bugs me when you can't edit your own messages.

So it looks like above is same as the 2000-2006... the drawings just has one more row of relays that are not actually in the box. well not in my box. maybe they were removed??

how/where do the wires route from the Multi function switch to under the hood? is there another port/plug(s) anywhere along the route.... seeking more test points to avoid poking holes in wires which is not so good for wires.

Last edited: