High lift jack placement

Don't forget to use the jack stands with your lift.
safety.gif

ARae, good going for getting it done. I recently remounted my Hi-Lift to a home fab mount on the rear part of the sport cage above the tailgate. It was mounted on the tire carrier of the Warn bumper.

Harbor Freight has a crap ton of jacks to choose from now. Pretty good ones. I bought mine at Northern Tool (also a crap ton to choose from).

I felt the use of the words "crap ton" fit a thread about jacks well so I used it twice for good measure.

Reactions: StG58 and Kiwi TJ
Having a hard time with the new rear bumper finding a place to place my high lift Jack. I've seen to do it from the bumper but take a look, please let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mounted mine crosswise behind the front seats with base removed, It keeps it clean and out of the way.
I rarely use it but it has been a lifesaver a couple of times.
Yes, they are dangerous if used incorrectly.

One more that is a mea culpa pic taken of me fixing a broken front axle shaft in 2003 while using a Hi-Lift to support the Jeep. STUPID STUPID STUPID. As soon as I got up from where I was & saw that the Jeep had shifted back on the Hi-Lift, it freaked me out. That's the last time I ever carried a Hi-Lift. I soon figured out it would have been better to have used the factory jack under the front axle to fix it. The terrain didn't allow for a better Hi-Lift placement, that rock had to be placed there just to get enough height. Shoulda used my factory jack that day. STUPID shit happens but at least I learned a lesson that day. The pic was taken on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley, that's me in the black hat.
DSCF0052.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Nominal and Stockli
One more that is a mea culpa pic taken of me fixing a broken front axle shaft in 2003 while using a Hi-Lift to support the Jeep. STUPID STUPID STUPID. As soon as I got up from where I was & saw that the Jeep had shifted back on the Hi-Lift, it freaked me out. That's the last time I ever carried a Hi-Lift. I soon figured out it would have been better to have used the factory jack under the front axle to fix it. The terrain didn't allow for a better Hi-Lift placement, that rock had to be placed there just to get enough height. Shoulda used my factory jack that day. STUPID shit happens but at least I learned a lesson that day. The pic was taken on Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley, that's me in the black hat.
View attachment 45470

Wow! That could have been bad! [emoji46]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Growing up in redneck Alberta I cannot count the number of fence posts my farmer jack pulled. I think I used it once to jack up a truck and could not believe how that jack handle works in reverse. Mr Bills video nails it. And shows why so many government trucks have removed them. Anyone who gets a safety audit in BC gets told to remove the concussion jack.

Reactions: Squatch
The best spot is the one where you can have it bedlined and mounted to show it off. Preferably across your rear bumper (where you'll back into your urban trash can with it) or on your hood (where it will drip rust).

Reactions: Daryl
I keep mine on a deck that goes across the back of the jeep. I have a couple of carafe bolts that go up through the deck and pass through the holes in the jack. I use wing nuts to keep it down. It gets used for all kinds of things besides lifting a jeep. I use it for that to but I tend to try and find a log jack stand if it's anything more serious than a tire change. I have a friend who was hit in the head and knocked cold while his was going up so don't kid yourself. If any part of your body is in the arc of that handle, you are in danger. Pump that handle with only the strength in your arms, don't try and use body weight, it puts your in a dangerous spot.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks for all the vids guys...remember when all cars came with a version of the hi-lift?
I was thinking the exact same thing. I must have half a dozen of them in my garage. Some have the old removable "J"-shaped hook designed to catch the lower lip of your bumper. Others have a small tab that fit into a slot in your bumper. Growing up, it's all we used because it's all there was! When you had a jack, you had a "bumper jack". I've had 'em lean, had 'em fail and drop, and I've had 'em do exactly what they were supposed to do. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, @05 Blue Unlimited!

Reactions: KCsTJ and billiebob
I remember riding on the package tray under the rear window of our car...well, at least until Dad complained that he couldn't see anything out the back window. And seatbelts usually were tucked down inside the cracks of the seats, where they were out of the way!