High lift jack placement

I remember riding on the package tray under the rear window of our car...well, at least until Dad complained that he couldn't see anything out the back window. And seatbelts usually were tucked down inside the cracks of the seats, where they were out of the way!
I remember there use to be a round rope like thing that was attached to the back of the front bench seat that went all the way across the back from driver to passenger side. We had a lot of windy country roads where we lived in the mountains. I would stand on the rear floor board and hang on to that thing like a ski rope and lean with the curves for miles. What was that thing for Squatch? Hanging blankets or jackets on?

Reactions: Squatch
I remember there use to be a round rope like thing that was attached to the back of the front bench seat that went all the way across the back from driver to passenger side. We had a lot of windy country roads where we lived in the mountains. I would stand on the rear floor board and hang on to that thing like a ski rope and lean with the curves for miles. What was that thing for Squatch? Hanging blankets or jackets on?
It was a carryover from the early cars (up to around the late '30s, I believe). It was where you would hang your "lap robe". The heaters of the day didn't effectively get the warm air to the back seats, so it was common to have a lap robe hanging there to offset the chill the rear passengers had to endure. ;)

Reactions: lindsey97 and Daryl
It was a carryover from the early cars (up to around the late '30s, I believe). It was where you would hang your "lap robe". The heaters of the day didn't effectively get the warm air to the back seats, so it was common to have a lap robe hanging there to offset the chill the rear passengers had to endure. ;)
Thanks! I thought it was something like that.

Reactions: Squatch
Bought a hi-lift to raise and level the shed in my backyard. Never once thought about mounting it to my Jeep for any reason. But at the same time if I was going somewhere and thought I might possibly need one, I'd bring it without any problem. Like many have said, it's a tool so learn how to use it before doing so. As far as using it as an everyday jack.. no. That's stupid.

See these:

that first video needed a little wd40 and it would have worked much better they work much better with a little oil on the pins clean out any dirt and a little oil works wonders you can also push up on the handle hard and it can drop all at once yes they can be dangerous but with a lot of common sense and watch what your doing they can be a life saver

Reactions: lowranger
that first video needed a little wd40 and it would have worked much better they work much better with a little oil on the pins clean out any dirt and a little oil works wonders you can also push up on the handle hard and it can drop all at once yes they can be dangerous but with a lot of common sense and watch what your doing they can be a life saver
Workers Compensation disagrees with you.

Reactions: abe abel
My TJ came with one when I bought it. It makes for a macho decoration. As my off roading will be in true desert, it might be easier to use than a bottle jack and blocks of wood. Farmers have been using them forever with great success.
Jack.jpg

My TJ came with one when I bought it. It makes for a macho decoration. As my off roading will be in true desert, it might be easier to use than a bottle jack and blocks of wood. Farmers have been using them forever with great success. View attachment 46345
Owning a TJ is macho enough in my book.
(unless you go to Jiffy Lube to change oil)

So , you're riding along on a trail that has some big ruts in it and your straddling them to keep from bottoming out, but you're not paying attention and you slip into the big rut and now you are sitting on your transfer case skid plate and wheels are not really touching anything. How to you place the bottle jack, under the vehicle, level enough that the vehicle won't slip off, and safe enough for you to operate the jack? Don't ask me how
I came up with this scenario, but I do know a HIGHLIFT JACK SAVED MY ASS!

Reactions: lowranger
So , you're riding along on a trail that has some big ruts in it and your straddling them to keep from bottoming out, but you're not paying attention and you slip into the big rut and now you are sitting on your transfer case skid plate and wheels are not really touching anything. How to you place the bottle jack, under the vehicle, level enough that the vehicle won't slip off, and safe enough for you to operate the jack? Don't ask me how
I came up with this scenario, but I do know a HIGHLIFT JACK SAVED MY ASS!

Huh? You changed a tire while your Jeep was in a rut?

Reactions: billiebob
And I'm assuming you'd like to use the stock Dana 30 / Dana 35 combo?

Yeah. My buddy who knows everything bought junkyard axles for a few hundred dollars but that's too rich for my pocketbook. I also have a Jeep event in 2 weeks I want to go for. Gotta get 'er done!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris