High Mileage Preventative Maintenance

YonderNorthwest

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey all. I've got a 1999 TJ Sahara that I've been driving daily since I was 16 (16 years ago). The odometer just hit the 230k mark. Started driving it at about 90k miles. As far as reliability it has been pretty good to me.

Issues through life of vehicle thus far:
- Exhaust manifold cracked at about 95k miles. Replaced with OEM part that had some kind of billow in it to prevent cracking. Been fine ever since.
- Factory Dana 44 LSD ground the gears in the differential down at about 120k miles. Was tight on time and had the local dealership replace it. Less than a year later it began to literally fall apart. Dealership paid to have an open diff replacement installed by 3rd party shop. Have since gone to TrueTrac LSD front and rear (at 205k miles).
- Also at 120k miles, decided it was a good idea to "jump" my jeep over a hump along a logging road. Slammed the front tires into a small washout and cracked the radiator and broke both sway bars. OEM replacement radiator still going strong.
- Camshaft sensor began failing at about 180k miles. Alarming symptoms. First replacement part was defective. Second part has lasted.
- Replaced springs and shocks at about 185k miles with stock height moog and bilstein 4600s. Thinking it might be time for refresh?
- Alternator started whining at about 190k miles. Replaced with Bosch. Been fine since
- Broke the sway bars again (rubber bits failed) at about 200k miles. Replaced with anti-rock.
- Replaced front axle u-joints at about the same time because of noise.
- Had clutch repaired/replaced also at about the same time for symptoms I don't recall.
- Began developing slop in steering at about 210k miles. Replaced control arms and trackbar ball joints.
- Engine threw code for bad O2 sensor at about 225k miles. Replaced with NGK/NTK. Been experiencing intermittent O2 sensor code.
- Replaced the valve cover gasket chasing an oil leak from the top of the engine at about 227k miles. Still slowly leaking oil.
- Replaced rear driveshaft u-joints trying to fix 5th gear vibrations at 227k miles. Vibrations still persist.
- Other than that, it's just been regular fluid changes, a couple of spark plug refreshes, brake pads, tires, serpentine belt and a new battery or two.

All of that is to say: Assuming I want to drive this Jeep for the rest of my life (which I do), are there any glaring preventative maintenance activities you would suggest that I tackle? I have finally reached a point in my build that I think I need to start focusing my expenditures on the maintenance issues that I am sure are present yet unseen on my old Jeep. The little H&R lift and a tummy tuck are calling to me, but I'm thinking the money might be better spent elsewhere.

Appreciate any and all advice that the forum can offer.

That is impressive that you have driven the same vehicle for your driving life. Most folks get restless and want a change.

I am also impressed that you kept such tedious notes of your repairs.

Hats off to you and I hope your TJ lasts forever.

It would be good preventative maintenance, and while you're in there you could potentially replace some other items like harmonic balancer, radiator hoses.

Water pump is right there... along with your oil pump and rear main.

Personally I'd drive it and enjoy it.

New parts are all shit. Half the time or more I do something preventive these days I kick myself for touching it.

-Mac

If you haven't replaced the front driveshaft double cardan u joint at the tcase, it will be due soon. Mine starting making noise at 250K or so. If it fails, it will take out the tcase. It may be the source of your vibration as well.

Reactions: maz
If you haven't replaced the front driveshaft double cardan u joint at the tcase, it will be due soon. Mine starting making noise at 250K or so. If it fails, it will take out the tcase. It may be the source of your vibration as well.

Turns out the vibes were an imbalanced front driveshaft. Took your advice and replacing both front driveshaft u-joints as well. Replacing hubs all around with SKF. Should be running like a top when all of this is done!

Reactions: JKP
Thanks Jerry. Due for an oil change pretty soon. Why conventional over synthetic? Been running nothing but synthetic thus far...
Many synthetics dry out the RMS, that happened to me on my previous daily driver BMW which caused a massive RMS leak. Switching to a High Mileage conventional cured it in 7-8 days of driving. I run nothing but a conventional engine oil in my TJ.

What's the actual difference, besides the price?

The high mileage usually has more anti-wear additives, plus seal conditioners. Basically, plastic over time leaches out the chemicals that make it soft and pliable. The high mileage oil contains conditioners that essentially return plasticizers into the seals it comes in contact with, causing them to become more flexible again and to swell to some degree, stopping and preventing leaks.

High mileage oil is also more expensive due to these additives and may also shorten the effective life of catalytic converters, hence why it is not usually recommended for newer cars.

I use the Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic high mileage. 10W-30 works just as well at operating temperature, but 5W-30 flows better at startup. (10W-30 is often cheaper.)

Many synthetics dry out the RMS, that happened to me on my previous daily driver BMW which caused a massive RMS leak. Switching to a High Mileage conventional cured it in 7-8 days of driving. I run nothing but a conventional engine oil in my TJ.

Would this be true on a if you get cold winters (Ohio)

Op great thread, this has been a great read for me!

I don't recall there was a difference in price. I buy the 5 gallon jugs at wally world - regular 10w-30 and 10w-30 high mileage - for under $30 each.

Wally Worlds Mobile one for the win. I don’t shop at Walmart often but when I do I get oil,spray paint, and other automotive chemicals to make it worth the trip 👍

Last edited: