High Pitch Whine, Electromagnetic Interference or Mechanical Wear?

annihil8ted

I'm getting a high pitch whine around the 2-3K rpm. It is independent of the drive train and seems to be related directly to the motor. If I put in neutral and rev up to that range, I can hear the whine. Pitch doesn't really change but volume increases. It sounds very similar to a supercharger haha

Interestingly enough, this correlates with the fan running, both with AC on and off. It also correlates with if I have the speakers on and how high the treble is turned on. For additional info, I play music through my system using a FM bluetooth player connected to the cigarette socket on the dash. If I turn it up too high, I do hear some static but this is a steady high pitch whine.

Sounds like EMI or am I chasing the wrong thing? Or is there something that engages the fan and maybe above a certain RPM it starts whining

In my case, is was a bad ground to the radio.

This is starting to be what I'm thinking too

do you have an aftermarket radio / amplifier installed

I don't have an aftermarket radio/amplifier but I did recently replace the front 2 speakers as the OEM ones were completely shot.

Where might I find the ground to radio? Or is it grounded purely through being bolted into the dash?

This is exactly what I came to say.

@annihil8ted , do you have an aftermarket radio / amplifier installe

This is starting to be what I'm thinking too

I don't have an aftermarket radio/amplifier but I did recently replace the front 2 speakers as the OEM ones were completely shot.

Where might I find the ground to radio? Or is it grounded purely through being bolted into the dash?

Pull down a copy of the service manual from the shared files section and check the wiring diagrams. The ground goes through the harness before connecting to the body. It could be dirty connectors (as was my case) or even the alternator ground. The service manual has a whole section on radio troubleshooting. Look for the section on "RADIO NOISE SUPPRESSION GROUND STRAP"

Reactions: annihil8ted