High travel, high clearance & high octane, a streetable adventure LJ story

That's one nice thing about the LJ. You've got that extra room to be creative with. My TJ is so small that my track bar is about 1/4" away from hitting the fuel tank skid plate due to the rear axle pinion angle being so high after the tummy tuck. Wouldn't have that issue with an LJ!

Totally missed that part... That helps quite a bit! Hey, you have an LJ... you could probably put the gas tank back there and still fit a back seat if you wanted too!

I've thought about it several times and I keep coming to the conclusion that I so rarely have more than a single passenger that there's no point in putting it back in. I can always revert that decision in the future and move things around again. I will also be placing my spare tire inside the Jeep.

Reactions: Chris
That's one nice thing about the LJ. You've got that extra room to be creative with. My TJ is so small that my track bar is about 1/4" away from hitting the fuel tank skid plate due to the rear axle pinion angle being so high after the tummy tuck. Wouldn't have that issue with an LJ!

4-link and you won't have that issue.

Yep, you're pretty close to "buggy" status. Not saying anything is wrong with that. Your fab skillz are impressive! Enjoying the progress.

Yep, you're pretty close to "buggy" status. Not saying anything is wrong with that. Your fab skillz are impressive! Enjoying the progress.

You're right. And as cool as that is, it's also the biggest issue that I have come across since whenever I need to look up something (such as routing brake lines) OEM-like methods don't apply to me and buggy methods don't apply to me either. The best help has come from the Ultra4 world and I think my build is showing that as a major source of inspiration.

Agreed! Don't think we need to "label" your build at this juncture. Too many cool things are in play to put a label on it. I'll sit back and eat my pop corn.

Reactions: Chris
I agree... your fab skills are very impressive, something I wish I had. Then again, I also wish I had the space to tinker like this. All I've got is a 2-car garage.

Maybe then I'd be doing something like this... just for fun:

https://genright.com/products/double-triangulated-rear-4-link-suspension-kit-links-optional.html

I have a 2.5 car garage (30x32, so on the large side) that I'm working out of. It's way too cramped and someday I'd like to expand. I also have a bunch of parts stored in a friend's unused garage until I need them.

GarageJournal is a helpful forum if you want to layout your garage for efficient workshop use.

Reactions: lindsey97 and Chris
I have a 2.5 car garage (30x32, so on the large side) that I'm working out of. It's way too cramped and someday I'd like to expand. I also have a bunch of parts stored in a friend's unused garage until I need them.

GarageJournal is a helpful forum if you want to layout your garage for efficient workshop use.

I’ve got an RV pad attached to the side of our house. At some point I think I may expand my garage which would then turn it into a 3 car garage. This would be nice, because then I could take on larger projects like this without pissing my wife off for not being able to park her car in the garage. I’ll definitely check that out!

I’ve got an RV pad attached to the side of our house. At some point I think I may expand my garage which would then turn it into a 3 car garage. This would be nice, because then I could take on larger projects like this without pissing my wife off for not being able to park her car in the garage. I’ll definitely check that out!

But where will the RV go?

Agreed! Don't think we need to "label" your build at this juncture. Too many cool things are in play to put a label on it. I'll sit back and eat my pop corn.

Haha! Don't assume my Jeep's gender and push your labels on it! Lol. Jk.

Even if specific parts I'm using like stinkin' huge coilovers can't be part of most Jeep builds, the ideas behind them can be adapted slightly and be entirely relevant to 11" shocks mounted on towers. Even the whole weight savings idea works on any Jeep.

More so than specific parts, ideas or theories, I hope my build inspires everyone to achieve their dreams and show that your don't need to have everything figured out to start. Learn along the way and don't be afraid to tear your work up several times until you're happy with it.

Until "grandbabies", I never would have considered owning an RV. Now that I have one, they have proved quite useful.

Until "grandbabies", I never would have considered owning an RV. Now that I have one, they have proved quite useful.

The funny thing is, lately we've been talking about buying one, and we don't even have grand kids (and won't for a long time hopefully!).

Okay, sorry, don't want to derail this thread into an RV thread, haha. We're experts here when it comes do derailing threads.

The hoop braces are in, air bump cans burned, gussets added to the rear bumper, and drain holes drilled! The rear frame is nearly done.

20180714_backhalf-completed.jpg

Cheers to everyone who's been following my build so far!
20180714_bottle-opener-gusset.gif

20180714_backhalf-completed.jpg