Hitch Interference With Genright Fuel Tank

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My Curt trailer hitch that I had with stock fuel tank will not fit with the genright 24.5 tank that should fit like factory. The skid plate is about 1/2” too wide. Any suggestions or is there another trailer hitch I could purchase that would fit?

IMG_7876.jpeg

My Curt trailer hitch that I had with stock fuel tank will not fit with the genright 24.5 tank that should fit like factory. The skid plate is about 1/2” too wide. Any suggestions or is there another trailer hitch I could purchase that would fit?

View attachment 474821

I'd imagine your only option will be to get a rear bumper that has a trailer hitch built into it. You bought a larger than stock tank so I'm not sure why you figure it would fit like stock? They had to make it larger somewhere to be able to get the added capacity.

Bolt-on receiver hitches like that cause that kind of problem, they also reduce ground clearance. You'd be much better off getting a bumper with an integrated receiver hitch like from https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/rear-bumper who manufacturers their bumpers right here in the USA. Their prices are even very competitive with cheap Chinese bumpers that don't hold up well.

This is my DirtWorx bumper with an integrated receiver hitch, I've installed two of them over the years.

20140111_100321 (2).jpg

Reactions: P man and LakeBeard
I'd imagine your only option will be to get a rear bumper that has a trailer hitch built into it. You bought a larger than stock tank so I'm not sure why you figure it would fit like stock? They had to make it larger somewhere to be able to get the added capacity.

The way I read the description was if it works with your stock tank it will work with this tank. I assumed it meant in general, but looking back at it, I think its only referencing the axle/rear suspension clearence.

Reactions: LakeBeard
Bolt-on receiver hitches like that cause that kind of problem, they also reduce ground clearance. You'd be much better off getting a bumper with an integrated receiver hitch like from https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/rear-bumper who manufacturers their bumpers right here in the USA. Their prices are even very competitive with cheap Chinese bumpers that don't hold up well.

This is my DirtWorx bumper with an integrated receiver hitch, I've installed two of them over the years.

View attachment 474825

That one does look pretty nice. Looks like they’re out of stock, so I don’t know if they’re discontinuing it or if it’s just a back order but will be back in stock. Ill have to give them a call. I guess fortunately or you can also look at it as unfortunately I dont need to worry as much about breakover angle and ground clearance, there’s really no rock crawling going on around my area. We got mall parking blocks but thats about it

Reactions: Wildman
The way I read the description was if it works with your stock tank it will work with this tank. I assumed it meant in general, but looking back at it, I think its only referencing the axle/rear suspension clearence.

I believe the GR tanks tie into the frame, so that causes the interference, but I don’t have the GR tank, I’ve only looked at them prospectively. I agree with the above, get a bumper with an integrated hitch.

I believe the GR tanks tie into the frame, so that causes the interference, but I don’t have the GR tank, I’ve only looked at them prospectively. I agree with the above, get a bumper with an integrated hitch.

This one bolted up like the factory tank and used the same exact mounts. Other than having to use a trans jack to lift it being its significantly heavier, it installed like the factory tank.

The inner faces of the bracket interfere with the side wall of the skid plate.

View attachment 474831

View attachment 474832

I’ve never preferred an undermounted tow hitch because of the lack of clearance. I’ve removed three of them and sold them. On one of them it did interfere with the exhaust slightly. If you want to keep it, you may be able to modify that inner face of the tow hitch mount by removing some material with an angle grinder and a flap disk. I can’t see how much you need to remove, but you can figure it out.

Reactions: P man
That drawing does not answer my question in any way. What is your point here? I can pictures too!

That is the shortest "hitch" that I have seen.

View attachment 474836

My Warn has the hitch pin hole about 1 1/8-1 1/4” from the back edge. I’m not sure what is “acceptable,” but I’ve never had a problem using a cargo carrier or pulling a trailer gross loaded weight under 2,000lb. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That one does look pretty nice. Looks like they’re out of stock, so I don’t know if they’re discontinuing it or if it’s just a back order but will be back in stock. Ill have to give them a call. I guess fortunately or you can also look at it as unfortunately I dont need to worry as much about breakover angle and ground clearance, there’s really no rock crawling going on around my area. We got mall parking blocks but thats about it
Mine was for a rock crawler and its breakover angle and ground clearance were both fine. Especially with the receiver hitch not being mounted below the bumper. I'd give them a call, they're a great company. Before his bumpers took off and got so popular so he was able to open a manufacturing facility I went to his house about 40 miles from mine to pick my first one up, he was making them in his garage. They're really an exceptionally well-built and very beefy bumper.

My Warn has the hitch pin hole about 1 1/8-1 1/4” from the back edge. I’m not sure what is “acceptable,” but I’ve never had a problem using a cargo carrier or pulling a trailer gross loaded weight under 2,000lb. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The numbers are all over the place. @Blackjack said 2.5" is the standard for a 2" hitch, but the variation is large as you see in the thread below. Even with all this, the Motobilt one seems quite small, no? Hence my question.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/receiver-hitch-pin-distance-survey.65431/
Tube length doesn't look anywhere close to the 4"+ number in the drawing that was posted either if people are paying attention :)

Last edited:
The numbers are all over the place. @Blackjack said 2.5" is the standard for a 2" hitch, but the variation is large. Even with all this, the Motobilt one seems quite small, no? Hence my question.

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/receiver-hitch-pin-distance-survey.65431/[/URL]

My guess is it wouldn't be an issue... I've had hitch pins that were real tight against the bumper before.

It matters for those who don't want that hitch sticking way out there but still want the receiver hitch.