Home Wi-Fi router and / or mesh purchase help

Yeah don’t have that issue here either. Is your phone updated? Is it android? My neighbor is manager for t-mobile and said they are having all kinds of crazy issues with android devices recently.

Reactions: Apparition
Yep Android and it's always up to date. This just started after installing the Nighthawk. That my carrier is T-Mobile would not have anything to do with this since it's a wifi issue.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Yep Android and it's always up to date. This just started after installing the Nighthawk. That my carrier is T-Mobile would not have anything to do with this since it's a wifi issue.

I know it’s not a carrier issue, just saying what she told me. Weird issues with androids right now. So it might be a firmware issue with the phone? I’m really not the guy to talk to about it, just relaying what I heard and have four iPhones, two iPads and none have the issue you are having. And I haven’t updated my router yet....hoping that doesn’t cause that issue!!!!!

Good luck!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Haven’t had any issues like that on my end Jerry. Notice it with any other devices?

Haven’t had any issues like that on my end Jerry. Notice it with any other devices?
Hard to tell Lou as I'm not using the other wifi devices nearly as much and my wife wouldn't know if her phone was on wifi or the cellular network lol. I'm an old network (pre-wifi) and RF guy but this has me kinda stumped. You Google it and it just gives the usual obvious BS like 'are you too far away from the router' lol.

Hard to tell Lou as I'm not using the other wifi devices nearly as much and my wife wouldn't know if her phone was on wifi or the cellular network lol. I'm an old network (pre-wifi) and RF guy but this has me kinda stumped. You Google it and it just gives the usual obvious BS like 'are you too far away from the router' lol.
How many devices do you have connected to wifi

How many devices do you have connected to wifi
Not many at all 3 mostly off motion-sensing video cameras, a Google mini-home speaker (the one that also tells hilarious G-rated jokes lol) the main TV, and 1-2 cellphones. The router has more than enough bandwidth available for them.

Not many at all 3 mostly off motion-sensing video cameras, a Google mini-home speaker (the one that also tells hilarious G-rated jokes lol) the main TV, and 1-2 cellphones. The router has more than enough bandwidth available for them.
NETGEAR home routers can accommodate up to 32 clients per wireless band.

My suspicion was you had too many devices. You could also have a lot of interference on the 2.4 ghz band. Try using the 5 ghz band and see if you get kicked off again.

@Jerry Bransford just to add to this your older router could of had shorter license ratings for each device meaning after a certain amount of time without activity the device would be kicked off the channel it was occupying. If you have 32 channels to use and interference on 24 channels and longer lease times your 2.4 ghz band is full therefore kicking someone off.

@Jerry Bransford just to add to this your older router could of had shorter license ratings for each device meaning after a certain amount of time without activity the device would be kicked off the channel it was occupying. If you have 32 channels to use and interference on 24 channels and longer lease times your 2.4 ghz band is full therefore kicking someone off.
My cellphone is constantly checking for and receiving emails, texts, and messages from a couple Apps I use for my business so it's not for lack of activity my cellphone is disconnecting. It's not a bandwidth issue either, my network analyzer indicates I have way more available BW than I could ever use. No gamers in my house either.

Ok I'll try again. Lets get this out of the way because I know you have some radio back ground and don't want this getting confused.

ELECTRONICS bandwidth
a range of frequencies within a given band, in particular that used for transmitting a signal

Computing
computing, bandwidth is the maximum rate of data transfer across a given path.

When your Internet service provider tells you that you have 400 mbps that is your computing bandwidth. Not how many channels you have on your router. The 2.4 ghz bandwidth (radio) is used by many different devices and can have a lot of unusable channels. Microwaves, key fobs, hand held house phones, ect could block your router from accessing these. Your router only has 32 possible frequencies to use.

So lets say your time limit on the old router was 2 minutes. You have 8 available channels. You could have never noticed the dance going on because your phone always had a slot to use. Now the new router has a 10 min limit and your devices are fighting for channels now.

If you switch to the 5 ghz band there will be less activity and you will get faster speeds. Give it a try and if you get kicked again then go from there.

It is likely not the cause of your problem based on what you are saying, but have you gone into the router and setting your device as the 'priority device'? I'm not sure if the Nighthawk does this but I set phone as the priority device in my Google mesh router and hardwired my computer. I don't care if the others in the house are having problems :ROFLMAO:

It is likely not the cause of your problem based on what you are saying, but have you gone into the router and setting your device as the 'priority device'? I'm not sure if the Nighthawk does this but I set phone as the priority device in my Google mesh router and hardwired my computer. I don't care if the others in the house are having problems :ROFLMAO:
I just checked and there's no priority setting available, that probably would have helped. Thanks for that suggestion though!
P.S. At least there's no priority setting available on the Nighthawk router management App.

two things to try
1) +1 for enabling 5GHz. You probably have the option to either enable 5ghz as a separate wifi network (a pain) or to combine and broadcast at 2.5 and 5g at the same time. Thats probably the easiest.
2) depending on how close your neighbors are, may be a good idea to check which channel is the less congested and pin your router to it. https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/ho...nnel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/