Horn not working

JeepDew

Hi guys, please move if wrong location, still trying to figure out where to post certain questions.

Ok, so my daughter's Jeep horn does not work. I took apart the horn area at the steering wheel and all cables looked to be intact. The relay looks fine under the hood and wiring to horn looks good.

when I hit the horn, mechanic is telling me no electricity is coming to the horns.

What needs to be changed....

Thanks for the help in advance

JeepDew

Fuse? I think it is shared with another item. Is something else not working? I believe it is in the fuse block with the relay.

Edit: in my 05 it is a 20a fuse in position 18

Last edited:
Narrow it down the old school way:

First remove the horn and test it directly into the battery
If that works, then test the wire for power (buy a chepo walmart kit)
If that works, the steering wheel horn wire needs to be looked at
If that works go to your fuse box
If the fuse is intact, you gotta bigger problem my friend :)

sorry I don't know how to post a link but there is a tool called a power probe and it will make electrical troubleshooting much easier. it runs about $150 but it can definitely save you time in troubleshooting

Have someone repeatedly push on the horn button while you listen to/feel the horn relay. If the horn relay is clicking that verifies the horn button is working. If the horn relay is clicking that means the problem is between the horn and the horn relay. If the horn relay isn't clicking the problem is between the horn button and the relay. Swap the horn relay with one of the other relays too, it's possible (though unlikely) you simply have a bad horn relay which is located inside the Power Distribution Center in front of the battery.

JeepDew i'm in the middle of troubleshooting my 97 horn problem. Bought it with an accessory switch I didn't like, (bypassing horn switch). I've ruled out everything but the horn switch itself. I surgically removed the original switch, thought I had it fixed, tried several things till I flipped the copper membrane over. Will need some wire reversing to attach both leads, r. so far it works, when tesed with conductivity leads will have confirmation or not after re installing, .A major pita due to the sensitive nature of the horn switch design. Will repost results after final install. Here's a pic of the switch.i hope

20180106_220524.jpg

Reactions: Imapepper
JeepDew i'm in the middle of troubleshooting my 97 horn problem. Bought it with an accessory switch I didn't like, (bypassing horn switch). I've ruled out everything but the horn switch itself. I surgically removed the original switch, thought I had it fixed, tried several things till I flipped the copper membrane over. Will need some wire reversing to attach both leads, r. so far it works, when tesed with conductivity leads will have confirmation or not after re installing, .A major pita due to the sensitive nature of the horn switch design. Will repost results after final install. Here's a pic of the switch.i hope
I think Im just going to go to the junk yard and buy a new horn cover...see if that works.

I think Im just going to go to the junk yard and buy a new horn cover...see if that works.
Wait, you already confirmed the relay is clicking which verifies the horn button IS working so replacing the horn button/cover would accomplish nothing. As said above.... if the relay is working, that isolates the issue to between the relay and the horn. And with the relay working, that would automatically make me suspect the horn or the horn's ground connection. There are no fuses or other circuits between the horn relay and horn.

Horn Circuit.JPG