Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

Nothing exciting just getting things setup and testing things out. This is our shakedown for the trip in October.

20230831_195617.jpg

20230831_195630.jpg

Today was spent going shopping. Going a few cool things for the trip. Found a older percolator coffee pot for lazy mornings.
Got a bunch of odds and ends stuff like missing screws for some of the control panels.
Tomorrow will be getting the Blackstone grill seasoned and going to try out the pellet grill.

Started getting condiments and seasoning spices for the motorhome.
Will post some pictures once there's something worthy.

Today was spent going shopping. Going a few cool things for the trip. Found a older percolator coffee pot for lazy mornings.
Got a bunch of odds and ends stuff like missing screws for some of the control panels.
Tomorrow will be getting the Blackstone grill seasoned and going to try out the pellet grill.

Just seasoned a Blackstone last week for the Masonic picnic. Took about 35 to 40 minutes total once we started spreading the oil. Ended up doing 4 coats. Do yourself a favor, use some very LONG TONGS to hold what ever you are using to spread the oil... Oh and don't forget to wipe down the outsides of the grill during the process!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman

Will you be in one spot long enough to smoke anything on your upcoming trip?

Reactions: John Cooper
Will you be in one spot long enough to smoke anything on your upcoming trip?

Yes, will be staying in Yellowstone for 3-4 days plus Rushmore for a few days. And then in Nebraska for 4 days.
We are planning on using the pellet grill during those times. My BIL has a big pellet grill so he's going to be coaching me on how to use it.

Yes, will be staying in Yellowstone for 3-4 days plus Rushmore for a few days. And then in Nebraska for 4 days.
We are planning on using the pellet grill during those times. My BIL has a big pellet grill so he's going to be coaching me on how to use it.

Sounds like a cool trip.

Sounds like a cool trip.

Should be. Last time I was at Yellowstone was when I was 6-7 years old.

Had some loose screws in the kick plate between the cab and motorhome body. Found out they'd use a thin strip of wood so the screws only hit the edge. Plus it was open to the ground where a draft could blow in.

20230902_112015.jpg

So we cut a new strip of wood and got some spray foom to fill the gap. And then stuffed some A/C foom under wood strip just to seal it with.

20230902_112134.jpg

The we had issues with the BBQ outlet on the coach. It hadn't been used for so long it had crud inside the quick disconnect. Had to clean it out before we could get the Blackstone grill fired up.

We're on the 4th seasoning here.

20230902_190136.jpg

The BIL manning the grill.

20230902_190155.jpg

We'd also removed the side trim pieces of the window valance so we could get the recliners moved closer to the wall.

20230902_191548.jpg

Busy day just getting things done.

You’re going to love it. They’ve since paved the roads and built a lodge with a big fountain out back that they turn on about every hour.

Have fun.

I'm not that old...

Going to smoke a Elk roast for dinner tonight. Using the Asmoke grill.
Had to get the auger filled first.

20230903_140946.jpg

Pellets dropping down on the burner.

20230903_141549.jpg

Doing the first burn off which is 300⁰ or higher.

Pellets are burning now.

20230903_142143.jpg

I'm not that old...

Going to smoke a Elk roast for dinner tonight. Using the Asmoke grill.
Had to get the auger filled first.

View attachment 454867

Pellets dropping down on the burner.

View attachment 454869

Doing the first burn off which is 300⁰ or higher.

Pellets are burning now.

View attachment 454870

We've got the Pit Boss labelled version of that same smoker for our motor home. I really like it, it's consistent, which is important to me. It's much lighter than the Green River Dave Crockett that it replaced, which I was really disappointed in.

More work done today. Got all the slide seals lubed and the gears lubed also. Who knows when was the last time any of those seals were treated.
Fixed one of the slide toppers that had gotten rolled when it was windy at my house.
Replaced the porch light with a LED motion sensor light. Nice to have so you know if there's someone outside around the door.

Reactions: reddvltj
Well this fancy radio from Phoenix has turned out to NOT be as cool as I'd hoped. My first issues were that the steering wheel HVAC buttons wouldn't work. So after contacting the company and doing a video chat with them I got a CanBus firmware update. Installed it and nothing. That was prior to Labor Day weekend. Then while driving over the pass I also realized that the Auto Climate control didn't work. I could have looked past the fan speed and temperature button on the steering wheel not working. But the Auto Climate Control is a deal breaker.

So I'd made another appointment with them for today. They had me install another CanBus firmware update which again did absolutely nothing. Then they had me install a software update which did this:

I had to run into town and they sent me a fix for it being upside down.

I'm giving them until the end of the week to get this damn thing fixed or I'm yanking it back out and will be installing something else.

Little details make a difference. When we'd tried to use the BBQ port it wouldn't work until we took a small screwdriver and was able to clean all the crud and crap out of it. Then playing with it a little got the propane to flow.
So not to have that issue anymore I got a cover for the quick disconnect.

20230912_101658.jpg

More turkeys

20230912_105217.jpg

Well this fancy radio from Phoenix has turned out to NOT be as cool as I'd hoped. My first issues were that the steering wheel HVAC buttons wouldn't work. So after contacting the company and doing a video chat with them I got a CanBus firmware update. Installed it and nothing. That was prior to Labor Day weekend. Then while driving over the pass I also realized that the Auto Climate control didn't work. I could have looked past the fan speed and temperature button on the steering wheel not working. But the Auto Climate Control is a deal breaker.

So I'd made another appointment with them for today. They had me install another CanBus firmware update which again did absolutely nothing. Then they had me install a software update which did this:

I had to run into town and they sent me a fix for it being upside down.

I'm giving them until the end of the week to get this damn thing fixed or I'm yanking it back out and will be installing something else.

WWZD?