Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

Started having engine problems around Missoula, MT but decided to push through to Yellowstone. Did some online research and determined it's either a leaking head gasket or the water pump cavitation. Fingers crossed its the water pump. So made the call to turn around and head back home.
So we're back in St Regis for the night and will be back in Snohomish tomorrow.

Well after the advice I'd received online we were able to make it back to Snohomish with little issues.
I'm really hoping this turns out to be the water pump cavitating.
The trick was to not fill the overflow bottle much and then leave the cap loose.
From what I've read the water pump when cavitating can wear thru the front engine cover and then you'll have coolant in the oil and sometimes oil in the coolant.

Either way I'll be waiting until spring to work on the engine and fix the problem.

Good 👍 news if that's possible when dealing with engine issues.
Got a new block tester/exhaust gas detecter kit from Amazon today. Warmed the engine up per the instructions and filled the tester with the required fluid.
Diesel engines will turn the Blue fluid a Yellow/Green color if there are exhaust gases in the coolant.

20231014_140937.jpg

So this means it's not the head gaskets. While it still means I've got a problem it's a less expensive one.
Front engine cover is a 10-12 hour job. I might look into doing some additional work while I've got things torn apart.
So Ford doesn't make the front engine cover anymore so it's either a aftermarket one or have my OEM one repaired.
I'll also replace the water pump with a aftermarket one.

I might take the turbos off and do the oil cooler while I'm at it.

Good 👍 news if that's possible when dealing with engine issues.
Got a new block tester/exhaust gas detecter kit from Amazon today. Warmed the engine up per the instructions and filled the tester with the required fluid.
Diesel engines will turn the Blue fluid a Yellow/Green color if there are exhaust gases in the coolant.

View attachment 465590

So this means it's not the head gaskets. While it still means I've got a problem it's a less expensive one.
Front engine cover is a 10-12 hour job. I might look into doing some additional work while I've got things torn apart.
So Ford doesn't make the front engine cover anymore so it's either a aftermarket one or have my OEM one repaired.
I'll also replace the water pump with a aftermarket one.

I might take the turbos off and do the oil cooler while I'm at it.

Just gotta love it when a diagnostic tells you it's not going to cost a small fortune to fix the problem...

Just gotta love it when a diagnostic tells you it's not going to cost a small fortune to fix the problem...

A couple $$$ compared to the $$$$$ of new heads was a big relief.
It's about $2k to do the front cover and water pump. Heads if I did them right would be $10k or more.
I've got to decide how deep I want to go into it when I do the cover.

• Wow
Reactions: reddvltj
I'm back on the road headed towards Omaha, NB. Should be a fun trip but not as fun as if we were still in the motorhome.

20231016_082535.jpg

The BIL is handling the driving chores so I've been watching videos on how to replace the front cover and oil cooler. Figured it was a good way to spend some of my time.

My BIL was born and raised in Omaha so he's a HUGE Huskers fan. So my nephew got him & his mom corn husker hats since we're going to a game while in town.

20231016_082451.jpg

Here are some videos on what I'll be tackling soon.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1392649941320635?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

Looks like about 20 hours of work for both projects but then I'll have a new cooling system and hopefully no more engine issues.