Host F550 4X4 Motorhome Quad Slide 330

No idea if there's any truth to it, but I've heard the 6.4 was running on the edge to get the HP/TQ numbers?? What do I know though, I have a 6.0.

These Powerstroke engines are all foreign to me since I've always been A Cummins guy. So I'm learning as I go here.

It does seem like he does everything he can to make these 6.4's a better than stock engine. He did say he could definitely see where the head gaskets had been blown but also felt that the head studs hadn't been torqued down properly when it'd been assembled previously. I guess the ARP head studs are torqued down to 270 lb ft.

I told him that I wanted it built for a towing/hauling platform and to do what needed to be done.

Been reading and talking with other 6.4 owners about these engines and what course I should take now. While many suggest doing a Cummins swap I honestly don't think I want to deal with having my motorhome with a swapped in engine. One of the HUGE things on this is that the Check Engine light is always on with a Cummins swap. So that is my one problem there with all the folks who throw that out as an option.

I asked around and once the engine is rebuilt it's 99% reliable since NOTHING is 100% reliable. But all the main issues with the 6.4 will be addressed. Since I need new turbos it adds an additional $3K to the price which puts me @ $20K or with tax about $21,500. The only thing I'm not replacing at that price is the HVFP & injectors. If I want to update them it's another $4K.

This brings me back to when I first bought the motorhome and at the time I paid about $8K under what it booked for so I'd be $12K above book value but that isn't saying I couldn't get close to what I have into it if I tried to sell it.
So obviously fixing the engine is the logical answer.

Just have to dig a little deeper into my pocket and find that money.

And not a new engine. I can see now why my cheap ass doesn't have a diesel motorhome. That's mind-blowing.

Well no not a NEW engine but a completely rebuilt engine which is technically better than a new crate engine from Ford. I'm not sure if the new Ford crate engine has the Maxforce pistons or not.
The interesting thing about the 6.4 was that the ones used in International trucks or chassis like for school buses had the better Maxforce pistons that don't crack like the ones in the Ford engine.

But believe me I really wish I was spending that money on other things other than this engine.

I just got done talking with the shop and decided to replace the HVFP & injectors too based on their age. I was only looking at the age of the components and not the age of the parts. So this way I'll have all new parts on the rig. Should add to its reliability that much more.

Well no not a NEW engine but a completely rebuilt engine which is technically better than a new crate engine from Ford. I'm not sure if the new Ford crate engine has the Maxforce pistons or not.
The interesting thing about the 6.4 was that the ones used in International trucks or chassis like for school buses had the better Maxforce pistons that don't crack like the ones in the Ford engine.

But believe me I really wish I was spending that money on other things other than this engine.

I just got done talking with the shop and decided to replace the HVFP & injectors too based on their age. I was only looking at the age of the components and not the age of the parts. So this way I'll have all new parts on the rig. Should add to its reliability that much more.

And peace of mind on while traveling, I can see it. Good shit ain't cheap.

But I'm still squeezing cheeks together thinking about it.

I hear ya... I want that piece of mind but I HATE the idea of spending that money.

Peace of mind is worth it IMO. That's why I spent just north of $13k to have a cetified shop install the 5 year 100k mile reman'd Cummins in my Mega Cab. No hoops to jump through if there is a warranty issue and since it was a Canadian company that did the reman there are tons of authorised repair centers to choose from across the states I usually haunt...

Reactions: Wildman
Short block going back together right now.

20240403_074512.jpg

I was going thru some folders and found my paperwork from when I bought the motorhome and found out that I'd bought a extended warranty plan that might cover some of the repairs on the engine. I'd remembered I'd bought it but thought it was only for the coach areas and not the drivetrain. But after reading more in what is covered I am hopeful that it might cover the engine. I'll be calling them Monday to ask some questions and see what I can find out.

I was going thru some folders and found my paperwork from when I bought the motorhome and found out that I'd bought a extended warranty plan that might cover some of the repairs on the engine. I'd remembered I'd bought it but thought it was only for the coach areas and not the drivetrain. But after reading more in what is covered I am hopeful that it might cover the engine. I'll be calling them Monday to ask some questions and see what I can find out.

Got my fingers crossed.

Engine is going back together... Shop hopes to have it reinstalled and then get some road testing done by this coming weekend. Heck the longer it take the more time I have to save a little more money...

The new BD exhaust manifolds 7 up-pipes sure look better than the stock parts.

20240408_094331.jpg

20240408_094341.jpg

No joy from the extended warranty company. I didn't get the diesel adder to the policy so it doesn't cover my engine/drivetrain...

Got another email from the shop and he has the rig running but is fixing a few issues that he's ran into so doesn't see it being ready until sometime next week now. Going to hammer me for a little more than I was hoping to spend but better to have it all fixed NOW than when I'm on a trip some place.

I swear it seems I'm just not having any luck with motorized vehicles or the parts that go with them. Got a email from the shop this morning telling me that the Air Dog fuel pump/filter/water separator setup I'd bought & brought to him to install is making a TON of noise. He tested it using a bucket to verify that it wasn't a draw straw problem and it was still noisy. Plus the stock fuel pump assembly was leaking so it would need to be replaced if I was to chose not to use the Air Dog. Well a stock fuel pump is around $500 so IMO it's stupid to put a stock pump on when the Air Dog or FASS systems are better and easier to maintain. So I emailed the shop back and told him to just order a new kit since I'd bought the Air Dog kit off Amazon about 2 years ago so I can't just return it. I'll try sending it to Air Dog for warranty once all this is done.

I have a FASS on my Dodge. I’m not a fan of all the noise it makes.

From what I know I'd rather have a FASS or Air Dog over the stock system. I'll have to wait and see what it sounds like on the coach. I had a Air Dog on one of my Dodge pickups and it wasn't that noisy. From what I've read the newer ones are supposed to be quieter also.

Reactions: reddvltj