How accurate is the engine temp gauge?

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
Just driving around and the indicator line is slightly past the 210. Don’t know if it’s overheating or if this is something that’s normal. Mind you, it is 95 out right now but I don’t know if that plays into this.
0C773060-09E3-4B22-BEA2-07F3F2593C8A.jpeg

Accurate is a relative term when talking about TJ gauges. My 06, 4.0 sits just a little bit over 210 all the time, air temp. Is irrelevant, a/c on or not. I used to tow a 1300lb. boat, full on air and 95 degrees out, barely move any higher.

Reactions: Mora
It is not accurate enough to tell you anything if you suspect there is something wrong in the cooling system. My gauge ran just where your gauge sits while the engine was running 230 - 240 due to a failed thermostat. I would recommend checking with an OBD II reader to see what the actual temperature is. If you are running with the gauge above 210 when just driving around town it can't hurt to check. On the highway, the gauge running above 210 is more normal.

The gauge is accurate enough to tell you that the engine is overheating extensively but not necessarily accurate enough to tell you that something is wrong within the cooling system.

It is not accurate enough to tell you anything if you suspect there is something wrong in the cooling system. My gauge ran just where your gauge sits while the engine was running 230 - 240 due to a failed thermostat. I would recommend checking with an OBD II reader to see what the actual temperature is. If you are running with the gauge above 210 when just driving around town it can't hurt to check. On the highway, the gauge running above 210 is more normal.

The gauge is accurate enough to tell you that the engine is overheating extensively but not necessarily accurate enough to tell you that something is wrong within the cooling system.
I used my buddy’s OBD II scanner but his doesn’t read engine temps. It’s a super cheap one. I have to get an OBD II reader anyways. Perfect timing I guess!

I used my buddy’s OBD II scanner but his doesn’t read engine temps. It’s a super cheap one. I have to get an OBD II reader anyways. Perfect timing I guess!

Check to make sure that the OBD II scanner reads engine temperature before you buy (as you seem to know already). I personally have a bluetooth OBD II scanner that connects to my phone and uses an app to read anything I need. I rarely use it if not for engine temp checks.

Early TJ's at least have pretty accurate gauges I think. Mine is when comparing it to what PCM says it is. They share the same sensor. Later TJ's had funny things going on with the oil pressure gauge in an attempt to dumb it down for people to keep them from worrying about the normal fluctuations. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was done with the temp gauge. If my gauge was where yours is, it would be about 220* which is the is the high end of acceptable for me.

Reactions: TJRick
If my gauge gave me concern or any kind I'd carefully inspect under the hood for leaks, check the coolant level and replace the radiator cap if I hadn't in the last two years. After that I'd move on to the "just enjoy the Jeep" part. Just what I'd do, I consider it very low on the obsessive scale but it probably does register at the low end.