How bad is it to drive without a steering stabilizer?

Kon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
How bad is it to drive without a steering stabilizer?

Asking for a friend… 🙄

78EC5A30-DC42-46DC-ABCC-7D394FE35F3A.jpeg

Indeed I have noticed no difference. I think I lost the washer within the day today but cannot recall the exact time. I was off road most of the time.

I have a 4h highway drive to get home though and my question is, should I adjust my driving as having no starring stabiliser may be dangerous?

Let me know as I'm a bot worried... Thanks!

Indeed I have noticed no difference. I think I lost the washer within the day today but cannot recall the exact time. I was off road most of the time.

I have a 4h highway drive to get home though and my question is, should I adjust my driving as having no starring stabiliser may be dangerous?

Let me know as I'm a bot worried... Thanks!
You could drive safely forever without a steering stabilizer. Its more accurate name is a steering damper and its job is to isolate/protect the steering system from shock and impact from hitting bumps/dips in the road. Its real job is not to stabilize the steering.

You could drive safely forever without a steering stabilizer. Its more accurate name is a steering damper and its job is to isolate/protect the steering system from shock and impact from hitting bumps/dips in the road. Its real job is not to stabilize the steering.
Thank you! @Jerry Bransford Indeed I have noticed no diffuse so far driven the Jeep for 30ish miles on road after diagnosing that this happen. Any thought on why it happen? Loose washer or wrong lighting of it?

Thanks! Will post close up tomorrow. To note also that the steering is a recently installed currentlync and I was wandering if maybe it has not been installed correctly. Especially the bracket on the drag link where the steering damper is bolted to (the point where it came loose)...

Hey @Kon!

A bit off topic but others answered already so you are all set about the steering dampener!

I saw you are running a currentlync with a 2.5" of suspension lift. How are your bumpstops set? do you have any interference issues with such a small lift and the "massive" currentlyc?

It's a very recent install and literally the first time I took the Jeep off road with the cyrrentlync installed. My bump stops are set at 2'' as suggested by Currie for my lift height.

I have noticed I metallic sound when the turning the steering wheel (not necessarily at full lock, could be one full turn) that I have heard both on the road and off road. Not sure from where it comes yet as I need to search the issue. I'm suspecting that it has to do with the searing damper bracket which I'm not sure is it has been installed/positioned correctly.

Since you brought up the subject, happy to hear if anyone who has the cyrrentlync installed can chime in. I post up a pic with the bracket's position highlighted.

IMG_2311 2.jpg