How can I fix this axle wrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrenm

The '98 TJ I just bought has a bad pinion angle- tilted upwards. I don't think it was done intentionally, what would cause it, bad bushings in the control arms?
Topside looks great and it runs great too. The underneath is a bit rough. How can I correct the wrapped axle before it destroys the shaft or joint? The coil springs are arched bad too because of it. It has 33's on it, they are noisy and I don't like them I'm hoping to get 31's this weekend.
Thanks!

The '98 TJ I just bought has a bad pinion angle- tilted upwards. I don't think it was done intentionally, what would cause it, bad bushings in the control arms?
Topside looks great and it runs great too. The underneath is a bit rough. How can I correct the wrapped axle before it destroys the shaft or joint? The coil springs are arched bad too because of it. It has 33's on it, they are noisy and I don't like them I'm hoping to get 31's this weekend.
Thanks!
Post up some pictures to make it easier for us. Are the control arms adjustable?

We need pictures.

Also, I fixed the all caps title for you.

The length of the front and rear springs would be useful info as well

It could be a poor lift of some kind, who knows? Pics will help.

are you angry at work too? lol

HEY NOW! I DON'T KNOW WHERE WARRENM WORKS OR HOW LONG HE'S BEEN THERE BUT IN THE FACTORY I WORKED ALMOST EVERYONE IN MANAGEMENT ON THE FLOOR USED ALL CAPS FROM SOME TIME IN THE EARLY 1990S UNTIL THE END OF THE LINE IN 2009. I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT MAYBE BECAUSE IT IS KINDA LOUD ON THE FLOOR.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks!
There's only so much angle the pinion could vary if you have stock control arms; even if the bushings are worn, I doubt it could be enough to make the springs significantly arched. Again, we can only speculate without pictures, or at least measurements of the lengths of the control arms, upper and lower.

If the previous owner replaced the factory driveshaft with an aftermarket CV (constant velocity) driveshaft as is commonly done, the rear axle's pinion angle would be required to point up higher than how the factory sets it for the stock driveshaft.
CV vs. non-CV angles.JPG

Reactions: Matt131
If the previous owner replaced the factory driveshaft with an aftermarket CV (constant velocity) driveshaft as is commonly done, the rear axle's pinion angle would be required to point up higher than how the factory sets it for the stock driveshaft.
View attachment 221674
Thanks Jerry. I'll get some pics and measurements tonight, but it is a 2 joint shaft, and when you see the pic you'll see the terrible angle at rear joint/ pinion.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Status
Not open for further replies.