How close can you put a single catalytic converter to the header?

carrotman

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
On earlier TJs with the single catalytic converter, is there any problem with putting the cat closer upstream from the stock location? Stock it is way back there between the transfer case and transmission. I've been running mine about 12-18" further forward for clearance without any issues, but just how much further up could I place it?

Packaging issues aside, could it live under the oil pan? Would the excess heat in close proximity be an issue for the engine? Does moving it closer to the header cause the cat itself to overheat? Late model TJs have "pre-cats" right off the header, how is this any different?

What about the O2 bung, does it have to be right after the cat, or could the bung stay a few feet back at the factory location so I don't have to extend wiring?

Right now my cat is right next to my Savvy mid arm passenger LCA mount, and I think it might be cooking the joint (or maybe just a coincidence this joint was bone dry and the rest were fine). It also makes the passenger floorboard pretty uncomfortable. Moving it just a little forward puts it right next to the starter which may damage that instead.