How do I change 42RLE transmission fluid?

Fluid comes out of the bottom fitting on the 42RLE and returns though the top fitting. The lines at the radiator can be swapped by the owner by bending a few pipes and vary from year to year. Simply trace the lines back on your Jeep two feet and see which one is on the bottom, that is the line that fluid comes out of.

Don’t mean to hi jack the OP’s thread, but would this apply to the 32RH as well?

I am thinking the cooler lines @ the radiator might be different though, correct? Other than that, applicable?

Thanks for the response, JB - in that case, I'd rather not risk running the tranny dry and just brace myself for the mess. So just that I have it straight:

1. Remove pan cover, drain the xfer case area.
2. Swap filters.
3. Clean mating surfaces on both, cover and case, ATV/gasket & tighten.
4. Fill with 4 or 5qts of ATF+4, check dipstick with vehicle off.
5. Start engine, cycle through the gears, re-check ATF level, top off.
6. Pull the cooler output line and drain/fill til its red.

Last question, should I have to cycle through gears to get a proper measurement, and can the vehicle just be in Neutral, or do I need to cycle the gears while pumping/draining old ATF?

I appreciate your patience; just crossing my i's and dotting my t's. :)
Wouldn’t you want to disconnect the cooler output line before turning on the engine? That way the old oil doesn’t circulate with the new oil.

Changing it regularly is more important than oil brand. IMO, even an Auto Parts house brand is good enough.
Assuming it meets the required oem specifications, as most should.

I know this is an old thread but I am about to do this job on mine. Is there a preferred brand of ATF+4?

If you go Mopar, Amazon has 6 quarts for $36 which is a slightly better deal than the 5 quart bottle for $32, and WAY cheaper than parts stores & their brands.

Reactions: thekevin
Changing it regularly is more important than oil brand. IMO, even an Auto Parts house brand is good enough.
Assuming it meets the required oem specifications, as most should.
I have had my 03 for 18 months or so and about 12k miles and I haven't changed it. The tranny has been out of it as some point in its life but the fluid still looks pretty good but for my piece of mind I am going to change it and the filter.