How do I find out what part of the driveshaft is the problem?

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
This might sound like an odd question and it probably is but I was having a problem with my front driveshaft, it was making a clunking noise and I took it to a garage and they said the problem was in the front driveshaft and they removed it for me. And me being even less than a novice about this didn’t ask them what part of the driveshaft was damaged. So here is my question, how do I find out what part of the driveshaft is the problem? As you can probably tell I don’t know a lot about this kind of stuff but would love to learn about this kind of stuff. So if anyone can explain to me how I can find out what part of the driveshaft is messed up and after I find that out how can I fix it? Like I said, I’d like to use this as a learning experience so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

most likely a U joint (can cause a clunk), but possibly the centering ball assy (more chirpy, they call it angry sparrows).
wiggle it and look for a sloppy joint, pull it down and do it if you have to.
there are several joints in the front shaft, could be any 1 or more..........and if 1 has reached it's lifespan maybe it's a good time to refresh the whole thing.

Reactions: Hokahay
This might sound like an odd question and it probably is but I was having a problem with my front driveshaft, it was making a clunking noise and I took it to a garage and they said the problem was in the front driveshaft and they removed it for me. And me being even less than a novice about this didn’t ask them what part of the driveshaft was damaged. So here is my question, how do I find out what part of the driveshaft is the problem? As you can probably tell I don’t know a lot about this kind of stuff but would love to learn about this kind of stuff. So if anyone can explain to me how I can find out what part of the driveshaft is messed up and after I find that out how can I fix it? Like I said, I’d like to use this as a learning experience so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You could call the garage and ask, but I'd just rebuild the whole shaft or get new. The hardest part is messing with the centering ball, especially replacing the dust or ball seal. The tool to do that through Denny's Driveshafts is about $30. I made one out of PVC pipe, narrowing it down with heat to get a tight fit so I could gently hammer it on. Check your costs to rebuild vs just buying a new shaft. It will be cheaper to rebuild, but it may not be worth it to you.

As @someguysjeep mentioned it is likely that if one part is bad others are also bad and it maybe cheaper and better to replace the entire shaft. The best way to tell what parts are bad though is to try and wiggle or move them. Feel for loose joints, feel for play in the slip yoke and spline, check the center ball of your double cardan. I'd start by disassembling the drive shaft, before you commit to buying new parts. Then if you find that there's more too it than just a couple of u-joints you have only wasted your time. Even then you haven't wasted your time, you have got a learning experience out of it. We have a page and a new video on our website that shows how to re-build a drive shaft at home. You can find that in the link below.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-t...joint-replacement?_pos=1&_sid=048bc46d1&_ss=r

Rebuild the entire driveshaft or get a new one.
This is your winning post- one reason is you can’t always tell, another is if any is worn it stands to reason all may be, another is once you are into it it isn’t that much more- and above all is front drive shaft failure can damage other components- and on a TJ it can nearly total the vehicle- no kidding. Not trying a scare tactic, just trying to be real.

Reactions: John Cooper
As @someguysjeep mentioned it is likely that if one part is bad others are also bad and it maybe cheaper and better to replace the entire shaft. The best way to tell what parts are bad though is to try and wiggle or move them. Feel for loose joints, feel for play in the slip yoke and spline, check the center ball of your double cardan. I'd start by disassembling the drive shaft, before you commit to buying new parts. Then if you find that there's more too it than just a couple of u-joints you have only wasted your time. Even then you haven't wasted your time, you have got a learning experience out of it. We have a page and a new video on our website that shows how to re-build a drive shaft at home. You can find that in the link below.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-t...joint-replacement?_pos=1&_sid=048bc46d1&_ss=r
How cool is it to see this company represented here.

Good post. Your products have a good name around here.

• Love
Reactions: John Cooper
Ditto to what others said. If one part of the driveshaft is worn, others likely are as well. Replace/rebuild it all.