How do you insure your TJ?

It’s pretty common and usually the insurance companies fault. I’ve had it happen with State Farm when adding a new vehicle and their system doesn’t update the DMV correctly. They should be able to see it on their side and resend the information to the DMV.

• Sad
Reactions: BlueC and lBasket
State farm here. Talked to my agent a couple weeks ago and she said keep receipts and photos but my additional $17k in added parts wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: MikeE024
Classic car insurance like Hagerty can be tricky. When I looked into it 20 years ago if you drove your classic car to the supermarket you weren't covered. Only Sunday drives and to car shows, if you drove it to work you might have trouble. For the small savings I moved on. If you treat your TJ like a classic and just drive to car shows I guess it's fine but what fun is that? Regarding Jeeps they specifically say "Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted." Seems useless to me.

Reactions: MikeE024
Bringing this back from the dead, is it typical to have to jump through additional "hoops" with the DMV for registration with Hagerty? Having trouble renewing not sure if my policy is messed up somehow or if it's normal... Agent suggested a "proof of insurance" form which I've never dealt with before
I believe AZ made me bring in proof (of Geico) rather than it just being in a database for them to check. I figured they would want the big official sheet saying I'm insured but they couldn't use that (which made no sense). I believe they made use of the small little insured card. I have Hagerty on my to-do list and hope to review that soon.

Classic car insurance like Hagerty can be tricky. When I looked into it 20 years ago if you drove your classic car to the supermarket you weren't covered. Only Sunday drives and to car shows, if you drove it to work you might have trouble. For the small savings I moved on. If you treat your TJ like a classic and just drive to car shows I guess it's fine but what fun is that? Regarding Jeeps they specifically say "Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted." Seems useless to me.
Good to know. Thx I'll check on that when I eventually speak with them.

Reactions: pagrey
When I looked into it 20 years ago if you drove your classic car to the supermarket you weren't covered. Only Sunday drives and to car shows, if you drove it to work you might have trouble. For the small savings I moved on.

Maybe 20 years ago that was the case, but not today. Restrictions with my Hagerty insured vehicles are simply that they have to be stored in a garage/carport, and they cannot be my daily driver. They didn't even ask how many miles are on my vehicles, nor do they care how often I drive them, as long as I have a registered daily driver. (Grundy had mileage restrictions a few years ago) Before switching my Jeep to my Hagerty policy I specifically asked if trail riding and beach driving in my Jeep was fine, both private and public land, and I'm covered as long as I'm not doing anything extreme or competition, but no insurance company will cover that.

As for the savings, switching my Jeep from a standard policy to my Hagerty policy I went from liability only costing ~$750 per year, down to ~$380 per year with full coverage at a higher value.

that's basically how state farm was with the "antique/classic" category. Parades and an occasional Sunday cruise was ok, but they wouldn't insure it as a classic if it saw regular use.

Reactions: pagrey
I didn't have those limitations either with Hagerty, just that it needs to be garage kept. I had to tell them a mileage but I think that was more related to the risk and my premium like normal insurance. I have mine set at I think 5k or 6k miles