How do you remove the third brake light?

Tzerambo

TJ Enthusiast
I have a question about the third brake light I am buying a rugged ridge heavy duty tire carrier and I also bought a third tail light spacer so I want to still use the third brake light so I was wondering how do I take the wiring out that it connected to the third tail light so I can feed it through the new carrier without cutting and making new wire

I ended up cutting mine and installing led brake lights that sit in the empty lug nut holes. The stock wire wasn’t long enough to go up the tire carrier from the tailgate. I believe the wire can be pulled out of the tailgate and threaded through the body somewhere else to eliminate an extra point of failure.

I ended up cutting mine and installing led brake lights that sit in the empty lug nut holes. The stock wire wasn’t long enough to go up the tire carrier from the tailgate. I believe the wire can be pulled out of the tailgate and threaded through the body somewhere else to eliminate an extra point of failure.
I wonder if I do this can i use the stock wiring And add to it and what would I use to do this

To wire mine, my LED lug nut hole lights came with a hot and a ground wire.

I simply cut the old light off, leaving as much OE wire left as I could, and then zip tied it to the tire carrier swing out arm and spliced it to the new LED light wires. So all it took was 2 cuts and 2 splices and some zip ties. I like to solder and heat shrink the heck out of every splice, so I took my time.

To wire mine, my LED lug nut hole lights came with a hot and a ground wire.

I simply cut the old light off, leaving as much OE wire left as I could, and then zip tied it to the tire carrier swing out arm and spliced it to the new LED light wires. So all it took was 2 cuts and 2 splices and some zip ties. I like to solder and heat shrink the heck out of every splice, so I took my time.
Ok I might have to try that but get some wire to extend it to get some more length

To answer your original question; there's a cover inside the tailgate that has access to the third tail light harness. I rerouted my harness and had enough slack to raise my taillight with spacers.

To answer your original question; there's a cover inside the tailgate that has access to the third tail light harness. I rerouted my harness and had enough slack to raise my taillight with spacers.
This is the answer you want.

I missed him saying he just wanted to raise it. Whoops