How do you secure tools, cargo?

How do you secure your gear, fluids, spare parts, and tools in the trunk area so they don’t shift around when running trails? Straps? Netting? What kind of tie down hardware?
JMT
Our LJ had a tuffy box drawer installed at the rear
• it’s the cats miaow ( I’m outta town currently, but can ya send a picture when I get back on my home turf)
• we used to own a YJ before and as much I loved it , having the LJs xtra creature comfort is hard to beat
• I guess it makes an enormous difference, depending on where you live in regards to theft

DETOUR overnout

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Reactions: JMT
I copied @strumble8 and added nutserts to mount a Milwaukee Packout base and use their large tool box (and the packout socket set). The nice part is if the tailgate is locked you can't get the tool box off the base - so it adds a nice security.

View attachment 243733View attachment 243734
Pics?

I have kicked this idea around myself.
Do you feel that you can go taller with the combination of different boxes or would hitting the rear seat back become and issue?

Pics?

I have kicked this idea around myself.
Do you feel that you can go taller with the combination of different boxes or would hitting the rear seat back become and issue?
I’m in an LJ, so I don’t have any issues with it. If you have specific measurements you want I can get them. You could get it closer to the tailgate if you deleted the 3rd brake light wiring like I did, you’d just need to trim the base and probably not run their socket set (you can see it sits further out than the chest).

902D5B06-940D-4AEE-AA93-7004949D1F9D.jpeg

FDD0A457-55B1-4225-BCBB-05B7D7035579.jpeg

C51E81EB-A6DE-4DB9-82FF-D0C5D03F8C78.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I’m in an LJ, soi don’t have any issues with it. If you have specific measurements you want I can get them. You could get it closer to the tailgate if you deleted the 3rd brake light wiring like I did, you’d just need to trim the base and probably not run their socket set (you can see it sits further out than the chest).

View attachment 258575

View attachment 258576

View attachment 258577
You need this

https://www.redtoolstore.com/produc...gFOI3ZDscLVsKWQ-cJfthztzT9N1H5ugaAmfbEALw_wcB

Milwaukee-2950-20_01_500x.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
Not the best pic and not super elegant, but I mounted Mac's VersaTie Track on the back, sides and in front of rear hump... use ratchet straps on the Tie Down Rings. I don't wheel with Back Seat in but if that were a requirement it would make these less useful.
IMG_20120324_141020.jpg

btRpzXP.jpg

I’m in an LJ, so I don’t have any issues with it. If you have specific measurements you want I can get them. You could get it closer to the tailgate if you deleted the 3rd brake light wiring like I did, you’d just need to trim the base and probably not run their socket set (you can see it sits further out than the chest).

View attachment 258575

View attachment 258576

View attachment 258577
I had that same space between the tailgate and my tuffy drawer, but I took advantage of it this way:

B6932E2D-E8FA-4DD0-8EB0-2915F536B21D.jpeg

Not the best pic and not super elegant, but I mounted Mac's VersaTie Track on the back, sides and in front of rear hump... use ratchet straps on the Tie Down Rings. I don't wheel with Back Seat in but if that were a requirement it would make these less useful.
View attachment 258619
View attachment 258620
Welcome to the forum. Are you the same SuperWade from JF?

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I have to keep my back seat for da kids so that equals no space. So ima take this motorcycle shipping crate that only cost me 40 and build a rack for cargo storage just above the tire.
1624977803791.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I found this aluminum box at Harbor Freight right after buying my current TJ, it has worked well. Too bad HFT no longer sells it.
CIMG3849.JPG

I had a similar but better quality box in my previous TJ, I placed it on top of a Tuffy security drawer.

CIMG1248.JPG