How far are you getting on a full tank?

This thread is worthless without pics Pics or it didn't happen.
I was a bit hesitant in calling it a Rod Tube :) Anyway Rocket Launcher is what you yanks call it and sometimes its easier to speak Merik'n or I get things like you Put bars on your roof! does it serve PBR lol

Go Brandon

launcher 1.jpg

launcher 1.jpg

launcher 2.jpg

launcher 3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I just did a road trip with a kayak on top, not exactly a roof basket but it didn't hurt my mileage much at all. Especially around town I can't imagine it doing much unless around town is 100km/h. Might be worth changing the air filter if it's a new thing.
I haven't checked it properly yet but gauge shows I used more than normal, maybe the higher than normal rev changes? but I will check on fill up Tuesday as its the first time I have gone under 3/4 from full on a 100Km,s

I always refill after about 100 miles out of habit to avoid premature failure of the in-tank gas pump, something I picked up years ago. Anyway I keep track of the mpg on gas receipts with the trip tick and have seen 17/19 street/highway over about 750 miles owning my Jeep. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I was expecting more like 14, but I'm not complaining :)

Reactions: tr21triton
Or is it
SMILES PER MILES 😉
This is the joke we Alfisti like to make but of course I see 20 mpg street and even as high as 30 mpg once on a long (3000 mi) road trip in my '74 Spider. I swear I'm enjoying the gas pedal as much as possible...

I always refill after about 100 miles out of habit to avoid premature failure of the in-tank gas pump, something I picked up years ago.
Obviously do what you are comfortable with but the TJ pump can be run totally dry with out risk of damage. It is cooled from fuel running through it and shuts off with in seconds of running out of gas. Like I said, keep in your comfort zone but don't worry about killing the pump if you're a little low on gas.

Reactions: MikekiM and LONGJP2
I just did a road trip with a kayak on top, not exactly a roof basket but it didn't hurt my mileage much at all. Especially around town I can't imagine it doing much unless around town is 100km/h. Might be worth changing the air filter if it's a new thing.
Did a 2 week test and mileage was back to normal! I think perhaps the pervious top up was less than top to full.
Spoke to the guy at the register in the gas station who told me they can increase or decrease pump flow rate, This came about because I was clicking on and off with blowback and he see me turning the pump nozzle every which way at 3/4 full and asked me over the loud speaker if I wanted him to increase or decease flow pressure! Who would have thought?
I use the same gas station and pump every week and the cashier is the same guy.

Did a 2 week test and mileage was back to normal! I think perhaps the pervious top up was less than top to full.
Spoke to the guy at the register in the gas station who told me they can increase or decrease pump flow rate, This came about because I was clicking on and off with blowback and he see me turning the pump nozzle every which way at 3/4 full and asked me over the loud speaker if I wanted him to increase or decease flow pressure! Who would have thought?
I use the same gas station and pump every week and the cashier is the same guy.
I used to work at a BP gas station. they changed prices every few days. Since I set the pump prices for my shift, fill ups were half price for some reason. 🤫

Obviously do what you are comfortable with but the TJ pump can be run totally dry with out risk of damage. It is cooled from fuel running through it and shuts off with in seconds of running out of gas. Like I said, keep in your comfort zone but don't worry about killing the pump if you're a little low on gas.
That's a huge relief... I've never actually had a fuel pump failure but I've heard too many times that keeping the pump fully submersed helps it stay cool. So I saw how much they cost and thought gosh cheap insurance to keep the tank full.

Of course another good reason to keep the tank half full is to avoid running out of gas, you never know when you might get stuck on a 50-100 mile stretch of highway with no gas stations or even exits. Found myself low on fuel once in a situation like that and wasn't sure if I should be more stressed about my fuel pump or whether I was about to run out of gas, lol.

Reactions: pagrey
I have been waiting and filling up every 400 miles (no lift pump), but I think I'm going to start filling up a bit more often just cuz we keep finding empty shelves and I'm ever so slightly concerned that some crazy gov policy might reduce some fuel access. I've got some fuel cans around anyway, so it's pretty easy to put a little bit of extra fuel back.

We don't have much that's critical that runs gasoline and it doesn't store well, so I likely won't grab much extra gas, but diesel for the Jeep, truck and equipment is something I tend to do anyway.

California Air Resources Board
National Forest
The Forest Service is under Federal rules and not CARB rules, I don't think their trucks even have to be CARB legal. You are mistaking CARB restrictions on commercial vehicles and items the average citizen uses. Anything sold in California that was legal at the time is still legal now. My 1960 Ford is still legal and so are WW2 era Jerry cans because they were bought or brought into the state legally. Same with a diesel truck owned by a resident, it does not have to meet current CARB standards unless it is used commercially. DMV stops registration of big commercial trucks only, pickups aren't included because CA recognizes that people have a right to keep and operate their personal vehicles. The rules are complicated but that doesn't mean they are impossible to understand and I don't mean to argue the point but it doesn't help anybody saying that gas cans are some sort of problem here, they aren't.
I've been wondering about this and was going to do some research. I'll be bringing my father's truck from Illinois to California here in the near future. It's a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and it's a non cat truck. Wasn't sure if there were going to be issues making it legal in California. Don't really need the truck, but it was the old man's and can't make myself get rid of it. It will be a 5th vehicle for the wife and I and will probably use it as a tow rig for the Jeeps down the road.

It's a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and it's a non cat truck. Wasn't sure if there were going to be issues making it legal in California.
I'd try to sell it before you move. It the truck doesn't say 50 state or California clearly under the hood somewhere it is a total pain in the ass. They do a visual to make sure the truck meets CA standards when you bring it here, if it doesn't have everything you are in trouble. My post was directed at people that have vehicles already registered in CA and not people bringing things into CA.

Reactions: AndyG