How far are you getting on a full tank?

So, from the post here, our TJ’s will shut off before the tank is empty. Is this from the computer or is it a pick up problem?
The pump turns off once the Jeep starves for fuel and the engine dies, not before, so it doesn't sit there running dry. I think that's what people are saying or trying to. The pickup is spring loaded and pressed on the bottom of the tank. The screen prevents it from sucking up everything just because of how it's made but it gets pretty darn close. When I've pulled my tank there was a little bit of sand and crap down there that I wiped up with a paper towel. I drove it until the needle was just past the "E" so it was almost empty.

Either what pager said or in my opinion there is simply nothing there to keep running. Reason why i say no fuel is because, if memory does not fool me, i was able to fill almost all 19 gallons into tank.
What ever goes on there, is the reason why you cant apply "running on fumes" to 4.0
Few times that i have ran out of fuel, done is done, that was it, there was no stuttering or choking, no engine shut off and then able to start and limp for a bit . Literally ran like a champ and shut off, any cranking past that was a waste of battery.

Amazing how much faster the first half of the tank-full drops than the second. I know it isn't REALLY using more fuel, but the calibration of the gauge is off. I can fill to the top and get going, cover one 20 mile trip home from work and be below three quarters. the fuel level drops fast.

What's the story behind the larger gas tanks I read about? Where to get them? Compatibility? Capacity?

Recently I got 217.4 miles, and that was on 16.64 gallons. Mainly suburban driving, so cruising around 30–40 with on average one light per mile. Stock everything, and 30x9.5 tires.

I'll soon be scouring this site for insight into what's causing such bad mileage.

Edit: I am wondering/hoping that it could be improved by replacing my O2 sensors.
I got 19 MPG with my SE on a long road trip this summer. 235/75/15’s, loaded up with camping gear and drove 65 MPH (faster at times). You should be able to get better economy.

Reactions: SSTJ
I cheat, Have a 31 gal tank. On a trip last week to Colo. and Utah easy 370 miles with less than quarter tank left. Normally in town 325 before fill up. close to 16 on trip.

• Wow
Reactions: WSS
When the weather in Florida cools down I will recheck the distance I can go driving 60-65 mph without the A/C running.
I am hoping to increase from 283 miles to around 325 miles on the same 14 gallons (low fuel light) as previously posted.

4.0 / NV3550 / 4:10 / 33's (Speedo is dead on accurate)
I have never run it out - but one day I'll carry a can and see exactly how far it goes.
I refill at 220 miles usually unless I somehow have been sitting on 'E' for longer than usual.
Seems it only ever takes about 17.5 gallons though. So maybe I can go a bit more? I dunno.

I've gotten 300 miles a few times with the 4.0, 3.07s, AX-15 OEM fuel tank and 33s.

I have an extended range tank now, but I've never used over 21 gal before filling, but 477 miles R2.8, 3.07s, AX-15, 33s (KM3s) and no roof rack.

I never went all the way to a full tank but at about the gas light mark I get 220 miles and fill up about 15gallons.

Mild cammed 5.3 LS bored over .030
Holley Terminator fuel management.
Stock NV3550
32” Tires
3.05 gear

I plan to go 3.73 and a stock GM PCM to see if I can get more mileage. The Holley is great, but is way more capable than what I need on the TJ.

I get about 100 miles between fill ups. Learned long ago that vehicles run just as good on the top half of the tank.

Reactions: WSS
I get about 100 miles between fill ups. Learned long ago that vehicles run just as good on the top half of the tank.
They actually run better full than half full apparently?
I am the same I fill up all the time from half or even 3/4 full, cost the same once you have a full tank to start with. :)

What's the story behind the larger gas tanks I read about? Where to get them? Compatibility? Capacity?
Factory or aftermarket?
Factory uses one size tank, but the inlet is set (on some) so it only partially fills the tank. It can be modified to get the full capacity.

Noticed a drop in MPG since the roof bars roof basket with maxx trax small side awning and small rocket launcher were put up top, down to 5-6Km per litre but I think closer to 5 that's without the camping gear! so just under 12MPG I think ? Putting drag on top lowers it quite a bit! have not gone any longer drives so that's basically around town stop go so its at around 228 per tank :(

Because of the 1st- 2nd clash/grind I have in my 6 speed I have started changing 1st-2nd over 3000RPM on 3.07,s and the gear goes in easy every time at the higher revs but this also causes a natural higher rev change through the other gears so that could be a factor in the MPG drop? Below 3000RPM 1st -2nd change will be a notchy change every time.

Noticed a drop in MPG since the roof bars roof basket with maxx trax small side awning and small rocket launcher were put up top, down to 5-6Km per litre but I think closer to 5 that's without the camping gear! so just under 12MPG I think ? Putting drag on top lowers it quite a bit!
I just did a road trip with a kayak on top, not exactly a roof basket but it didn't hurt my mileage much at all. Especially around town I can't imagine it doing much unless around town is 100km/h. Might be worth changing the air filter if it's a new thing.